Mystery death

srfrgrl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
I am hoping someone can shed some light on my situation although I won't be upset if no one can. I came home today to find one of my barred rocks dead in the coop. There was no sign of a struggle, she was perfectly fine this morning, no blood, nothing. I am beyond sad. She was one of the feistier ones, less than 3 years old and I would not have guessed she would go like this. Does anyone have any thoughts? I buried her...deep in the ground and with a board over the filled in hole just to make sure if she had some disease I did not know about then none of the other chickens could get to her. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Judy

Birds try to act normal until they just can't, so recognizing signs of illness can be difficult. Only by doing post-mortem exams will you know why most birds die, unless it's obviously a predator attack. I post every dead bird so I know what's going on in my flock. Many hens, especially high producing types, will develop bad health issues by three years of age. Mary

Back
Top Bottom