1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

mystery death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by groleau6, Aug 14, 2014.

1. groleau6

groleau6 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Alabama
    My RIR died today. I posted yesterday that she was acting off, and today she died. She was alright this morning but when I went to bath my ducks she was dead in a nesting box. I can't figure it out. She was eating well, poop was normal, drinking fine, but from what everyone said yesterday it seemed like she was acting as if she was expecting her first egg. Is it possible for them to die egg laying? Her name was Teeny for a reason--she was as really small. About the size of a silkie. I felt her vent and it did feel like she had an egg there. It's the only thing I can think.Should I be worried about my other hens??

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yes they can die from an impacted egg. There may have been a backup of eggs behind the one you could feel. I don't think your other hens are at risk. Most of the time it's not something they can catch from eachother.

3. groleau6

groleau6 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Alabama
    thank you, at least that much is good to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by