Mystery Deaths

SCchickengal

Chirping
Jun 4, 2021
We had two deaths yesterday around Noon. Our fully grown Buff Brahma and Cinnamon Queen hens. Over the past year we’ve had a few other deaths. Two of them have definitely been hawks, and two others were less obvious (no one was caught, no one was devoured, one barely punctured and one not dead but internally bleeding so I was never convinced it was a hawk). We’ve caught the hawks devouring our birds and have scared them off mid-lunch. But those were singular attacks, just one bird at a time. Yesterday there were two dead birds and neither of them was terribly mauled. One of them was in the uncovered part of the run (run fence is 4ft on two sides, 6ft on two sides), one of them was inside the covered run space that is only accessed by a tiny door (approx. 12x9–small). Our yard is completely fenced by a 6ft privacy fence (no holes) and we are totally surrounded in a urban setting. I have cameras that would’ve caught anything entering or exiting both sides of my yard. The other 7 hens were in the coop very afraid but unharmed. My question is— what would’ve gone through the tiny door to kill the Brahma and left the other seven in the coop alone? The CQ was outside the tiny door with mostly just neck injuries. I know it wasn’t a dog, FYI. The internet doesn’t seem to make a big deal about about domestic cats and full grown chickens but this seems the most plausible to me for this occasion. Any insight?

FC2FC361-ADFA-47C2-876D-F9990801FEF9.jpeg

Our girls loved to free range, but that’s when we had all of the other attacks before yesterday so we quit letting them free range and built this enclosed run that has a good bit of coverage overhead but is open air nonetheless. We were letting them in this part only partial hours of the day. I had hoped that at least being confined this close to the coop, they’d have enough warning to run back into the house that is so close and accessible before someone was killed. Alas, yesterday proved otherwise. :(

[...] what would’ve gone through the tiny door [...]
[...] mostly just neck injuries [...]

Y'all have mink or other Mustelidae where you live?

I wouldn't rule out cats. Owners letting their "pets" out to predate local wildlife get very defensive when this is pointed out, however I also think most cats won't tangle with an adult chicken.

I have never seen a mink. Which doesn’t mean they don’t exist, but again, we live in a highly populated area, and we have 3 dogs and a resident rabbit that frequents our backyard. We live in Columbia SC, specifically. This attack was around noon, which is a strange hour for several common predators, no? And wouldn’t mink make the most of the kill and eat a little? Lol I keep reading that about cats… that they typically don’t tango with full grown chickens. But I’m just baffled about what would’ve killed two (one being a full grown Brahma), not eaten, would’ve comfortably fit through the tiny door, and would’ve left the other 7 alone. 🤯

6BB03D87-74E4-4196-B6B1-11729C11FFF7.jpeg

This is the current state of the backyard. Under construction with a pool and landscaping. Not a lot of cover or anything.

Likely a hawk, they usually start at the neck. The Brahma may have been collateral damage, possibly injuring herself in the chaos.
The Brahma had a larger gash wound on the breast area. When I interrupted two hawk visits before, they had the birds ripped open and gruesome. I didn’t interrupt anyone this time and the wounds just weren’t that bad. Not ruling out a hawk, I guess I’ll never know. Wish I did! Those were my two favorite girls! 😢

I have never seen a mink. Which doesn’t mean they don’t exist, but again, we live in a highly populated area, and we have 3 dogs and a resident rabbit that frequents our backyard. We live in Columbia SC, specifically. This attack was around noon, which is a strange hour for several common predators, no? And wouldn’t mink make the most of the kill and eat a little? Lol I keep reading that about cats… that they typically don’t tango with full grown chickens. But I’m just baffled about what would’ve killed two (one being a full grown Brahma), not eaten, would’ve comfortably fit through the tiny door, and would’ve left the other 7 alone. 🤯
We have mink. They’re weasels and nasty. If your coverage is trees not netting, it’s a perfect place for a hawk (especially a Coopers) to sit and wait.

Back
Top Bottom