Mystery disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fairfieldvtchix, Sep 25, 2016.

1. fairfieldvtchix

fairfieldvtchix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Fairfield VT
    Hi, I have been raising hens for 3 years and suddenly I have lost two in the last week and a third is on her way out. The first and second that both passed within a week of each other had been getting skinny and were acting uninterested in much for a few weeks before.

Now one of my blue Cochins is acting the same way. I wormed the first two (safeguard paste)who passed, but never saw any signs of worms. Their breast bone was all that was left, no actual meat to speak of. But again this was over a few weeks.
    What else could I try? I don't really want to lose any more. I'm down to 21 birds. 7 are 11 weeks old, and the rest are between 19 weeks and 3 years old.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Contemplating having vet run fecal to look for parasites but not sure if there are other options first. I will add that up to the last day of life they were interested in food but not really eating it... Crops never full
    Thank you

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A necropsy by the state vet or local neighboring poultry lab could diagnose common diseases, such as coccidiosis, Mareks disease, or other problems. How old were the ones that died? Have you checked your feed for mold or contamination? Were the chickens standing around hunched or puffed up, or having runny poops or blood in them? Could they stand and walk, or were any paralyzed? Did they cough, sneeze, or have other respiratory symptoms, such as gasping? I would get some Corid to start treatment for coccidiosis, or get some fresh droppings to your vet for testing. Sorry for your loss.

3. fairfieldvtchix

fairfieldvtchix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Fairfield VT
    Thank you for your response Eggcessive.
    So I performed my own necropsy. The most recent dead hen had a large ovarian cyst in her cavity. Was almost size of my fist.

The two who died are just shy of 3 years old. My sick Cochin is 1.5 years old. She is in the hospital in the warm basement, not eating. I'll treat her with corid today as I do have some.
    No paralysis just not able to stand due to malnourishment at the end. Puffed up and hunched yes.
    They are all on new feed as I just switched to all flock for the chicks. Bag is 2 weeks old. Runny poops yes, no blood or worms. The last hen coughed a few times the day before I brought her inside. But was all of 2 minutes where she did.
    Poor Cochin just sits with eyes closed. Hopefully corid helps and then I will treat flock. If not I will be sending the next one out for a state necropsy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by