Mystery disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lizstags, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Lizstags

Lizstags Hatching

Oct 15, 2019
    Help! I’ve got chicks coming down with this illness that I suspect is coccidia. Puffiness, dropped tail, lethargy, and pale comb. I just did 7 days of treatment for a severe outbreak with liquid corid. Should I try treating them orally? If so what’s the dose? I’ve seen conflicting info. I have 9.6 %
    Thank you in advance!!

Attached Files:

Sequel and glassdragonfly like this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi there welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your birds seem unwell. :(

Some questions please...

How old are the birds? How many in how much space? What are you feeding including treats and supplements? Are they actively eating and drinking? Did they consume the liquid while you had it offered? How are droppings looking?

Adding your general location can help peeps make the best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

Are you able top take a fecal float to the vet to verify coccidia or other parasitic load? In SOME locations coccidia have become resistant to Amprolium (Corid) and may need to be treated with a sulpha drug.

:fl

Eggcessive, Sequel and glassdragonfly like this.
  3. Lizstags

Lizstags Hatching

Oct 15, 2019
    Hi there! Thanks for the reply!
    The silkies afftected are 2 months old. The few bantams that are affected are around 3 months. I moved the silkies outdoors with mom a week ago. All eat and drink well. I had one Cochin drop dead with similar symptoms and that’s when someone said coccidia on a Facebook group. I’m getting a ton of conflicting info off there so I decided to instead try this. They’re on a game bird crumble outside along with layer pellets being offered in a gravity feeder. I have one vet here that would do a float it’s just very expensive. I’ve already spent a ton on various dewormers trying to diagnose what was going on with my adult birds a month ago. It ended up being Mareks. It seems to constantly be something since we moved. At our old house they were always healthy. I’ve got a massive run that’s in a nice wooded shady area. Plenty of ventilation in their coop but everyone still piles up at night instead of roosting. Hope this info helps.

Sequel and glassdragonfly like this.
  4. glassdragonfly

glassdragonfly Crowing

Sep 3, 2019
    Ozark,mo
    What property had the Mareks? The one your on now or the one you moved from?

Sequel and BarnhartChickens98 like this.
  5. Lizstags

Lizstags Hatching

Oct 15, 2019
    The new property. I lost a few adults recently with textbook symptoms. Never confirmed with vet or anything like that.

glassdragonfly and Sequel like this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With Mareks around, the chickens you have left will all probably test positive for the disease. Mareks causes a decreased immunity to common diseases that others may fight off easily. I would give the sick birds a drench of the undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound twice a day in addition to the treated water. Keep the bedding dry and clean, and raise the feeders and water to shoulder height to prevent droppings from getting into them.

As @EggSighted4Life pointed out, some strains of coccidia are resistant to Corid/amprollium, and a vet could prescribe a sulfa antibiotic, such as sulfadimethoxine or Albon. I would try to collect some group droppings, and spend the money on the fecal test. I just had one done for $29 the other day. Many vets will require seeing the sick bird as well.

7. Lizstags

Lizstags Hatching

Oct 15, 2019
    I started doing a French of undiluted corid yesterday at the rate of 1 drop per chick once a day to all my babies under a year old in addition to their treated water. Most of them are teeny bantams that weigh mere ounces. Should I increase this and how long do I do it for twice a day? Also I’ve got one frizzle this morning that’s presenting with the upright stance, full liquid crop, liquid coming out of his mouth if I barely pick him up, and pale comb. Is this the coccidia? I lost one last week from these exact symptoms.

glassdragonfly likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have read here where some chicks with coccidiosis may have a slow crop that does not empty normally. That may feel puffy. Does the frizzle have a sour or bad odor from the beak? The dose you are giving of the undiluted can be increased to 2 drops twice a day. I would try to get a fecal float, and see about getting some sulfa antibiotics. Some coccidiosis is resistant to Corid. Here is where one can buy sulfadimethoxine for pigeons, that can treat for coccidiosis:
    https://www.jedds.com/shop/medicox-100-g-medpet/

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

That is not coccidiosis at all. And could very well be the Marek's presenting as slow crop. Double check and make sure it hasn't somehow got a pasty butt. Do they have anything available for grit? Then move on to researching crop function for this Frizzle... :fl
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour/

All though floats can be pricey... I spent $28... they are often less pricey than throwing unknown solutions at problems we don't have and losing birds or with holding eggs from using wormers.

Okay, it takes at least 3 weeks for Marek's symptoms to present after exposure. How long have you been at your new place? It's possible you already had Marek's and the move stress brought it out. How old was you bird that got diagnosed with Marek's and by who? So many other things can present the same.

Not coccidiosis.

Possibly coccidiosis... Sorry for your loss. :(

Sorry, I'm a little confused... can you please tell me what were the similar symptoms before the Cochin passed?

10. Lizstags

Lizstags Hatching

Oct 15, 2019
    Ok whew so many questions! I’ll try to remember to respond to all. Mareks symptoms appeared about two months after we moved here in our adult birds. I lost 4 and they all presented the same very slow developing symptoms. Droopy wings then couldn’t walk total paralysis. They have approximately a 50x50 dirt/sand enclosure with a 10x10 coop. I use pine pellets and change them often. There’s ample ventilation but they all still crowd each other in specific spots which is why I think they are passing things around so easily. The Cochin chick that just passed had a completely full crop. Tiny bit of feed then 3/4 water. The frizzle I just pulled from outside is doing the same. I’ve got him in a kennel and pulled food and water while he hopefully absorbs that liquid. If I pick him up it’s pouring from his mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: