1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery Duckling Time!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by halfwildacres, Feb 9, 2017.

1. halfwildacres

halfwildacres Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    I haven't posted in ages because we moved to an area with no internet - so hi everyone! Last night I went to Rural King and they had mystery ducklings. I am a total sucker for mystery ducklings lol. So I ended up with 12. I know I got a Runner and I got a Rouen on purpose so I could compare it to these other ones. One might be a Welshie, but I have several others that are different. The pictures are terrible, but they were in a temporary overnight brooder until I could get my heat lamps up and running in the big one. (I ran in to town this morning and it may be my only chance to post for a couple of days.) I know we are all just guessing, but I like playing this game. It's my favorite lol.
    I circled this little lighter one. It's the one I think may be a Welsh Harlequin?
    [​IMG]

I circled the Rouen, so you can compare it to the mystery ones. They have lighter markings on their head, and their backs are yellowish-grey. Their feet are also pink and black.
    [​IMG]

I will post a few others after I get some better pics. I also have a couple of solid grey ducklings, but in that light they look identical to the Khaki Campbells. In person they are really different. Thanks for looking and playing everyone!

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yes, looks like the more yellowish one is a welsh.
    I see lots of Khakis and some possible silver appleyards or hybrid 300s (the ones that are yellow with a diamond on their heads)

3. halfwildacres

halfwildacres Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Ok, I got better pictures finally! There are a bunch, but they're just so darn cute I couldn't help myself.

Here is the one that looks like a Walsh. She/he doesn't usually stand so upright, but there was a desperate bid to escape the sink going on. :)
    [​IMG]

Ok, here is a Khaki, a Cayuga, and this blue one. I put them all together so the color differences would be easier to see. The blue one is solid and doesn't have a bib at all - I don't know anything about blue ducks.
    [​IMG]

Here are a few more of the ones with the black diamonds on their heads. I put a couple of their colorful bills and little webs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by