Mystery Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Johnson5326, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Johnson5326

Johnson5326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So, I have had this crested duckling (we call him Moe-short for Mohawk) 1 week tomorrow. He (or she) has gotten increasingly dark every day and has a "dirty" look in its head and back. It was in with the "assorted" unsexed ducklings at Tractor Supply Company. I assumed it was just a white pecking with a crest but I've been looking for pics and haven't seen what one with his markings looks like as an adult. Any ideas. Also, is my darkest duckling a Swedish? He (or she) is the sweetest one of all. It lets us hold it without fussing like the others and is the smallest though I believe they all hatched the same day. I noticed its stance looks more like an emu than a duckling (not so large chested and leaning forward like the others-like the runner ducks). Anyway, I could wait and see in a few months but I like seeing what others have to offer. In the top pic the one to the farthest left just has mud on his chest. The mysteries are pirate duck Jeffrey and Moe.

[​IMG]

2. Disco Hen

Disco Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    Good luck ,im not sure what breed she could be

[​IMG]

3. Johnson5326

Mar 22, 2012
    Looks like maybe Moe is a runner duck? We'll just keep watching him/her grow [​IMG]

4. Disco Hen

Disco Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    Cool! We have 2 runners right now

5. Johnson5326

Mar 22, 2012
    My camera has decided to do what it wants. So I'll try to post more pics later. Anyway, the ducklings will be 6 weeks old on Thursday. Moe is still a mystery to me but I'm still leaning toward runner. Jeffrey, however, well I;m never sure. He's the little solid black one that I thought would be either runner or black swedish. But there's no hint of any color besides black so maybe he's a runner, or not a he? The 2 mallards/rouens (I'm thinking rouens) are coming in to their feathers nicely. They both have green on their heads but I read another post that said you can't tell with them til their 1st molt in late fall? My pekins are great, too. They're so big and fluffy looking it makes me want to pet them but they're not so big on that. Anyway, all are healthy and growing. I got a lab puppy Friday and have found creative ways to keep them apart until I can get a training collar for her. She's a beauty!
    [​IMG]

6. Johnson5326

Mar 22, 2012
    Oh, Jeffrey twitches his tail back and forth when he walks. Is that a characteristic of a certain breed?

7. Johnson5326

Mar 22, 2012
    My camera decided to work!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Beautiful ducks!
    Looks like you have 2 rouens (if mallards they would be much smaller), 1 cayuga, 2 pekins, and a blue "splash" crested swedish! I have blue crested swedish as well. The light colored ones like yours are known as "splash' or silver.

9. Johnson5326

Mar 22, 2012
    Awesome! I moved their turtle pool to a shady spot in the yard today. I think they're ready to free range and just go in the pen at night. They make such a mess in a short period of time. Its getting crowded in there too. So, the rabbit is living happily alone during the day and they're his roomies at night! I went out there a min. ago and they have separated themselves. I think I have prejudice ducks now [​IMG]. The dark ones are together and the light ones are together. The darkest is still my favorite tho.

10. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Absolutely adorable!!!

The black one is definitely a runner...my baby is identical to the 1st pic of it. I have a Blue Swedish too & it tends to stand even straighter up than my runner at times. As for the 2 Mallards/Rouens...probably Rouens. My Mallards grew much slower than my Pekins & were tiny in comparison. Just about have to be Rouens if they are all the same age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by