Mystery egg... do I have a 2nd layer???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 12, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Tonight I went to the coop to lock the girls up. I noticed that our banty cochin wasn't on the roost (sometimes the big girls don't let her up) so I opened the coop to move her.

Lo & behold there's an egg on the floor of the coop! Was it Gwen, my BSL who has laid reliably in the nesting box since her very first egg?

Or was it Dumpling, the BR who recently started to squat? I thought I heard Dumpling in the coop making the bak bak bak egg song but I couldn't tell.

I don't open the coop side daily so I have no idea whose it was! My girls would make excellent spies, too: nobody is telling whodunnit!
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If Gwen has been reliable about laying in the nest I'd say you have another layer.

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    You can put golf balls in nest to help them get the idea were to lay!

& I agree with gritsar
    <<If Gwen has been reliable about laying in the nest I'd say you have another layer.>>

4. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's funny b/c I'd had golf balls in the nest & Gwen was so reliable that I took them out last weekend b/c she didn't need the prompting.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Dumpling or Nugget (my RIR who is quote skittish but is the same age as the other 2) is laying!! I'll have to start looking inside the coop daily.

YES!

5. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    My older girls have been laying since August and sometimes one still lays from the roost now and then. I think it has something to do with her cycle. Sometimes the 25th hour comes at night. She does this every few weeks. Who knows for sure! LOL

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    CONGRATS!!!

7. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I think it was Gwen after all. I haven't gotten anything other than her eggs since I found the mystery egg and she did miss one day this week.

<sigh>

On a cool note, though, I got to watch her lay an egg today!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by