mystery egg...help me logic out which of two breeds laid this egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by haTHOR, Apr 22, 2009.

1. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i have four laying hens and got three eggs yesteday. a medium white, an xl blue, and a large creamy-pinkish white. the creamy one is the mystery. the one ee obviously laid the blue egg. the white medium was one of two brown leghorns. that leaves a golden laced wyandotte and another leghorn as the suspects for the mystery egg.

if it was the glw, she laid a brown one day and a nearly white the next. possible? on the other hand, the mystery egg is about the same size/shape as her normal egg.

if it was the #2 bl, it's way bigger and differently shaped. the color is not exactly the normal bl white, but more similar to the bl's normal egg color than to the glw's normal color.

thoughts?

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Does the wyadotte lay rir-like eggs or light brown ones? I would put my bet on her... I have never seen any leghorn eggs that werent very white.

I get occasional creamy eggs from my cochins.

3. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    not sure what rir eggs look like...but each of the 4 eggs i'v gotten to now from the glw has been a nice light brown, but definitely brown, you know?

what is more likely to stay the same with hen;s eggs--the size/shape or the color?

4. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I dont know, I have gotten shades of brown that vary from medium tan to almost white. And I have got different sizes too, but they do seem to stay more consistent. I also get eggs with tiny bumps like sandpaper on them, or speckled with darker brown, like a robins egg. So they do lay differently at different times.

If you have seen the color of brown eggs in the store, how do they compare with that? If they are normally that dark, I wouldnt think they would be almost white. But if they are normally a light tan, they could.

Like I said, I have never seen a creamy egg from a leghorn. Those creamy, so-light-they-are-almost-white eggs are called tinted, by the way. [​IMG]

5. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    thanks, very interesting! i also lean toward the glw. no her eggs aren't as dark normally as brown eggs in stores, which seem almost cocoa brown. but yeah this mystery egg is way lighter than her normal. thanks for the info!

6. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've only had one Wyandotte and she laid an egg like you describe. It's very possible that your laid a lighter one than usual this time.

7. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    well, this must be the new normal for her then...i got another one today.

8. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Cool! I think they are very pretty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by