1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery egg

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kitty135, May 17, 2011.

1. Kitty135

Kitty135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    I was walking through a large field 2 weeks old and I came across a strange egg. There were no towers or trees anywhere near by so it couldn't have fallen. The egg was a bit larger than an average chicken egg an had a sort of off-white tint to it. The thing that surprised me the most was it's thickness! I thought someone dropped a ceramic egg at first! I literally had to hit it against a metal pole in order to crack it in half! The yolk was VERY dark orange. What kind of egg could this be? Also, the field was far from my house and wasn't mine. It looked somewhat like a lawn that hasn't been cared for in years except much larger. Please help!!

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I don't know, thats weird. Whatever it was you killed it and may never know. LOL

3. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    Quote:It was a cold Day, so I suspect it wasn't exactly living when I found it on the ground [​IMG]

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Maybe a raccoon or something took an egg out of a nest nearby and forgot about it, or couldn't crack it.. [​IMG] I wasn't being mean about the killing it thing, I was just joking. Its been a boring day... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    But what kind of egg was it? It did NOT look like a chicken egg

6. acrossthebranch

acrossthebranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    South Ga
    Where do you live? I'm guessing canadian goose. They are laying now, and my husband found one the other day in the dirt on our dam. It had a really dark yolk and was very hard to crack. It was the size of my palm -- huge!!

7. ThompsonFunnyFarm12

ThompsonFunnyFarm12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I woulfassume Canadian goose for certain there are a tone around me!

8. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    Same here. We live in northern/central IL, so I bet you're right!

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Sounds like either a goose or duck egg. Goose eggs will be markedly larger than chicken eggs while duck eggs will only be slightly larger. Both will have that kind of waxy bloom on them and be very hard shelled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by