Mystery Egg?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TriangleMaster9, Dec 31, 2012.

1. TriangleMaster9

TriangleMaster9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    So today when I went out to clean out the chicken coop (I was supposed to yesterday but I forgot) I found an egg. Your probably thinking who cares an egg. And yeah, my chickens have all been laying for a while, but this egg was outside the coop. It wasn't there yesterday (it probably would've been eaten by my dogs), and I hadn't let them out to play in a few days so I didn't know how it got there. Then I thought, oh, some one probably dropped it while picking up the eggs, but I asked around and no one had gone to get any eggs yesterday, and it didn't have a single crack, chip, or dent in it, and it's seems to have a fairly soft shell, softer then my birds aleast. It doesn't look like any of my chickens eggs either. Its alittle bit bigger, and weighs 65g, which is the biggest egg I've ever got. I was starting to think it maybe was just from a wild bird, although, I quickly realized that was really stupid, because why would a bird lay an egg, no in it's nest, at this time of year, right infront of my coop? It's is definately a chicken egg. So, which chicken did it come from, and how did it get outside? I'm assuming it HAS to be from one of mine, because, none of my neighbors have chickens and they're definately aren't wild here. I looked all around the coops, could find anyway they could get in or out.....
    I do have some pictures though....

[​IMG]

and heres a close up of each.... (sorry about the shadows....)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I honestly have no Idea what happened here, and it's not a big deal, i'm just really curious.
    Any thoughts?

2. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    Seems incredibly far fetched to think that it cam from a bird other than your girls, given where you found it and that no hens live nearby. Are your girls in their first year? That might account for the inconsistency in size and shell density - and a bigger egg in a new layer could make for a thinner shell.
    As to how it got there, hard to say. I would guess that it was either laid there or was dropped there last time they were collected. Despite the fact that you doubt you could have missed it the time or two before, you could have. We have all found our keys, wallet, etc. places where we had already looked while searching; or, more scarey still, looked down a road we are about to turn onto and not initially seen an otherwise obvious car headed right for us. Given the option that my senses were wrong/inaccurate or something inexplicable has taken place, I always jump to the conclusion that my senses were off.

3. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    My girls are all just shy of a year, and in the fall 3 or 4 times I found 9 eggs from 8 hens. Can't explain how that happened, but I decided the best resolution to the conundrum was to just add the extra egg to my omelet. Riddle solved.[​IMG]

4. TriangleMaster9

TriangleMaster9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    I've got 4 eggs from the three of them before, actualy about once every week or two. They are new layers so that would explain the egg inconsidency. But I just don't understand how it got there! Yeah I could have missed it but we have dark red lava rock which makes an egg like this one stand out REALLY well. It would've broken or had some sort of scratch or SOMETHING. Because a shell that soft doesn't go without a mark when dropped. I guess I could have missed it but the dogs? I doubt that. They always go over there and sniff around the pen and go right over there. I just don't understand.... Oh well

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by