Mystery Eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AbisChicks16, Feb 21, 2017.

1. AbisChicks16

AbisChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida
    I have two mottled Cochin bantams,a black silkie, a welsummer, a blue Andalusian, and a Partridge Rock that are all 24weeks old. I've found several different eggs in my coop yesterday and today. I need help identifying them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Is the bottom egg as white as it appears in the photo? If so, that would be from your Andalusian. The speckled egg I suspect has come from your Welsummer -- especially if this bird was hatchery sourced - unfortunately not all of them will produce the lovely, dark eggs folks expect from them.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Time for a Butt Check!!
    If you really want to know who is laying and who is not, which should narrow down your 'mystery'.

Vent Appearance:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

4. AbisChicks16

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida

They came from mypetchicken. I got them when they were a day old.. the top egg is from the mottled Cochin, because I saw her sister lay an identical egg.
    Yes, the white egg is white white and large.

5. AbisChicks16

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida
    I've never done a butt check.. thank you for the info.. I'm going to try it..I'm still new chickens. We bought our farm in July and it came with 12 chickens.

6. AbisChicks16

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida
    [​IMG]
    I'm assuming she laid the brown egg with speckles, because it was in the best when she left..

7. bowlinggodess

bowlinggodess Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Pittsboro , Indiana
    My chicken like this lays baby blue eggs

AbisChicks16 likes this.
  8. bowlinggodess

bowlinggodess Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Pittsboro , Indiana
    I'm new to chickens this year and have been getting the same colored eggs for the summer but yesterday I got a new colored egg so I was wondering if maybe its a guniea egg . my gunieas and one duck are pinned with my chickens but my chicken can't get in my boxes so I assume maybe its a guniea egg ..
    Anyone .. Can u tell me if the dirty white looking eggs a guniea eggs? View attachment 1170129 Screenshot_20171026-120628.jpg Screenshot_20171026-120628.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by