1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery Eggs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jmorriso, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jmorriso

jmorriso Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    I got some eggs from a friend who didn't want them. He got them from a poultry professor at the university of Arkansas. He knew the breeds on all but 6 of them which he named "mystery eggs". Any ideas on these little guys, I know its a little early, but I thought I'd give it a shot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jklyles1

jklyles1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    The first 2 pics look like my Welsummer chicks! I'm a newbie tho.. Just a guess!

3. jmorriso

Jul 28, 2010
    They came in small beige colored eggs. They were in between the size of a bantam and full size egg if that helps. I have a friend on facebook who said they are production reds, but I'm not to sure. I've never seen a production red look like these, plus I would think that a production red would come from a much larger egg, unless it's a production red rooster over a different breed hen.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. jklyles1

jklyles1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]

Here is my welsummer chick. Just for comparison!! This is at 2-3 wks old. The colors seem a little different from yours. Hopefully someone with more experience will see your pic and let you know!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    I agree it does look like a welsummer chick. The only thing throwing me off is the egg color your describing. Welsummers come from very dark reddish brown eggs. Speckled sussex come from beige eggs so I'm wondering if that's what is is. But the leg coloring is wrong for both. Should be yellow feet for welsummer and pink for speckles sussex. They may just be Easter Eggers based on that greenish leg color. They are cute regardless. Enjoy.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welsummer

7. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    What kind of comb does it have hard to tell in photos. If its not a straight comb then its not a welsummer or speckled Sussex

8. jmorriso

Jul 28, 2010
    Sorry it took so long for me to reply. They have straight combs. I'm about 99% sure they are bantam silver phoenix. They came from Dr. Bramwell at the University of Arkansas and I just read that bantam silver phoenix is a line he breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by