Mystery eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenmapa, Jan 8, 2015.

1. chickenmapa

chickenmapa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    I have been getting a few eggs with holes in them! Like a worm or something went in the egg. I saw somewhere that it can be a sign of too much calcium, my quitsion is if I'm feeding them layer feed and house scraps what am I supposed to do! I've been told that scratch is only a snack and should not be fed on a regular basis, please HELP!

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be a few things. Sometimes, if a tiny spot of excess calcium deposits on the surface and is scraped away, it will leave a hole to the membrane. It's not too much calcium, just the way it deposits on the egg.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickenmapa

Feb 23, 2014

Could be a few things. Sometimes, if a tiny spot of excess calcium deposits on the surface and is scraped away, it will leave a hole to the membrane. It's not too much calcium, just the way it deposits on the egg.
    [/quote
    Okay thanks! Are they safe to eat then?

5. chickenmapa

Feb 23, 2014
    Thanks! I think I understand what's happening. I had noticed a bit of calcium build up on eggs before. All my hens lay in the same place,( not sure why) so they probably have scratched off the calcium leaving the hole. I guess I will try gathering the eggs more often in the day and see if it still happens.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If they don't have poop on the hole and the membrane hasn't been compromised, if you collect them soon after they're laid, I'd say they are safe to eat. I have one hen who sometimes has a tiny hole right at the pointy end where the shell didn't quite close up. I've never had issues eating those, as long as they are clean out of the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by