mystery handicap hen

poorhen

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 3, 2012
Hello, im a newbie here (first post) we live in a country setting and no one around us has any roosters/hens 2 weeks ago i found a hen in our yard she was coverd with snow and had some ice on her feathers, we took her in warmed her up feed her she seems to be doing just fine,but we found out she is blind as a bat. she is very clean no bugs or any thing else, i have no clue where this chicken came from, im thinking someone dumper her off for being blind??? anyway is haveing 1 chicken a bad thing? and if i get a couple more will the blind chicken be ok around other chickens?
we got our first egg from her yesterday which was pertty cool to us

If it gets cold out there where you live, I recommend getting like 2 more, so she has some buddies to hang out with in the coop and keep her warm, and also learn her chicken ways.

Also
welcome-byc.gif
it's good you joined!

would younger/baby chickens be best? was just thinking if i were to get a couple older chickens they would peck the heck out of her? and thanks for the reply

Hmm, I've dealt with older hens pecking on the younger ones, just for pecking order. Maybe a roo would do? The hens usually sleep next to them and they aren't like mean to the hens unless you get a nice roo.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom