Mystery Hatch today! So excited! (PIC ADDED!!!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Nov 29, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I have 2 brown eggs hatching today (1 has PIP'd and one is trying). We believe we have 5 layers; 2 barred rocks, a black sex link, a white rock, and a wyandotte. We also have 2 roos, a white bantam frizzle and a buckeye (who we thought was a RIR hen until a few days ago, oops). These eggs are from when both roos were in the coop, so who knows what's inside! I'm so excited to find out!! [​IMG]

We've hatched 2 others of our own, both white frizzle roo / barred rock crosses.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mystery hatches are my favorite!!
    Be sure to take lots of pics so we can figure out who the parents are [​IMG]

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    You bet!!

4. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    The first is out and HOLY CHICKY it's a loud bugger! [​IMG] I'm certain it is Batman's baby since it has feathered feet! It also looks identical to the other 2 I hatched a few weeks ago, who are from our barred rock, ElizaJane. So, it looks like a barred/cochin mix again [​IMG] The other is peeping loudly but had not PIPd so i made a small hole in the fr end to make sure it can breathe and I suspect it looks like the same cross.

Yay for baby chicks!!!! I should know in about a week if either are frizzled. [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My latest hatch is RIRs and RIR boys with my RIW girls. This is what I ended up with. I love to experiment.

[​IMG]

6. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    They are so cute!!! I love that rich reddish color!

2nd babe is hatched, so as soon as it fluffifies I'll post pics!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I usually mark my eggs that I put into the incubator but I noticed some I didn't mark when I was putting the eggs in the hatcher so I think I wasn't sure if the egg came from my RIRs or RIWs. Well one just hatched looks like a RIW. One mystery solved.

8. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

I love this mystery hatch, it's really exciting when we don't know what's inside those eggs.. [​IMG]

9. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Here's the cuties!

I know their dad is our frizzle cochin cus eof the furry legs...and they look just like our lst 2 hatches which we knew were barred rock mama...but the possibilities for mamas are:

wyandotte, white rock, black sex link, or barred rock...and a less remote chance of a buff orp (she's old and not lying s far as I know)

[​IMG]

10. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Quote:ADORABLE!!! LOVE BABIES!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by