Mystery hen disapperance

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by crazyeggs, Feb 4, 2012.

1. crazyeggs

crazyeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Vermont
    I went out this morning to feed my chickens and one is missing[​IMG] There are little tracks in the fresh snow as a chipmunk would make but no others. This is the first time that I have lost a caged bird to something other than my dog. I am beginning to wonder if it was a hawk but wouldn't there be some evidence left behind? I have found nothing of concern within or outside the perimeter of there enclosure...What really has me worried is she was from my LO project pen and I can't loose anymore hens from this pen

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Hawks are usually daytime predators. I do not know the types of predators you have in your area. I would suggest setting a live trap for the predator. I would also check for entry points for predators around the run/coop area. Most predators will keep coming back, once they have a fresh chicken meal. I am sorry for your loss.

3. crazyeggs

crazyeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Vermont
    Mystery solved. Looks like she flew the coop sometime yesterday as I went out tonight to feed the chickens and I turned the corner of the house and there she was [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Lucky hen. She could easily have become something's dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by