Mystery hen! Do you know this breed?

KaseySnow

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2018
Golden, Colorado
I volunteer with a flock of hens at a local history park and have had fun learning about their different breeds.

All except one. I have no idea what she is and no one at the park seems to either. She is an older hen and arrived long before anyone currently working there.
Maybe she is a chicken mutt? I figured if I could find an answer anywhere it would be here, so here are some pictures--let's play "guess the chicken!":
20200907_080159.jpg

20200907_080142.jpg
20201021_162406.jpg

She was in various stages of molt for these pictures, but I hope it gives you a decent idea of her coloring.
Would love to hear your thoughts, BYC!

Last edited:
I volunteer with a flock of hens at a local history park and have had fun learning about their different breeds.

All except one. I have no idea what she is and no one at the park seems to either. She is an older hen and arrived long before anyone currently working there.
Maybe she is a chicken mutt? I figured if I could find an answer anywhere it would be here, so here are some pictures--let's play "guess the chicken!":
View attachment 2560583

View attachment 2560581View attachment 2560585
She was in various stages of molt for this pictures, but I hope it gives you a decent idea of her coloring.
Would love to hear your thoughts, BYC!
What color does she lay? I'd guess a mutt, but if she lays blue or green, I'd say easter egger.

What color does she lay? I'd guess a mutt, but if she lays blue or green, I'd say easter egger.
Unfortunately she hasn't laid an egg in years that I have seen, so it's hard to say. We do have one black Ameraucana who lays light blueish eggs. We used to get the occasional green egg, so maybe that was her. But we've also had a few chickens pass away as the flock is all 7+ years old at this point.

So Easter Egger or maybe rainbow dixie mixed with EE, awesome! People ask all the time about the girls since it's a public park and I like being able to give them some idea. Thanks, everyone!

I agree. Easter Egger especially since the occasional green egg is found
If I find any future green eggs it will definitely confirm since I know the breeds of all the other hens in the flock. Haven't seen a green egg in close to a year though, and we did have a few other unknown hens pass away in that time since the flock is all pushing 8 years old or more. Looking back, one of the ones that passed was definitely an EE.

But it's certainly still possible! She does look a whole lot like pictures of Easter Eggers that I'm finding. You all are pointing me in a good direction, I'd say!

Back
Top Bottom