Mystery Hen (dum, dum, DUM!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rosechuk, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Rosechuk

Rosechuk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Wellsboro, PA
    Bad news: a dog got 5 of my best layers.

Good news: I used this as an opportunity to get rid of a bunch of old, barely producing hens and to renew my flock with some young pullets and young hens.

One of the hens I got is pretty and lays a very dark brown egg. Any idea what this breed is?

[​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    maybe a wheaten maran?

3. Rosechuk

Aug 5, 2009
    Wellsboro, PA
    I was not familiar with that breed. The eggs are not that super dark–like what is shown on the wikipedia page. The coloration and shape look similar...

4. Rosechuk

Aug 5, 2009
    Wellsboro, PA
    Another picture, because I cant resist...

[​IMG]

5. mr_mojokitten

mr_mojokitten Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    Sacramento, CA
    What a pretty girl!

6. Rosechuk

Aug 5, 2009
    Wellsboro, PA
    Yeah! I think she is good lookin.

7. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    She is gorgeous! Hav eno idea what she is but she is a looker! [​IMG]

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    She's very pretty! Also, Black Copper marans lay the darkest eggs of the marans, other colors lay lighter eggs. Also, within that group, some lay lighter than others. And if she has been laying a while, eggs lighten quite a bit toward the end of the laying cycle. They are only super dark at the beginning of a laying cycle. [​IMG] How dark are her eggs? If they are a lot darker than store bought brown eggs, she is very likely a wheaten marans. That is what she looks like to me, but i am no expert!

9. Rosechuk

Aug 5, 2009
    Wellsboro, PA
    Well, reading more about it and with your response, I think that wheaten maran is a very good guess–I think that is what I will call her! Her eggs are definitely darker than store bought, and probably the darkest of any hen I have had. I was unfamiliar with that breed, but they seem like a nice breed to get more of in the future. Although, none of my catalogs list the wheaten variety. Thanks so much for replies!

10. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    What color are her legs? Marans have white legs.

I have a wheaten marans and she looks different from your bird ... To be honest yours is much prettier, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by