Mystery hen laying soft shelled eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magicpigeon, Oct 10, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I've found 3 this past week in different places surrounding the roost [​IMG] Is there something she is missing in her diet if she consistently lays soft shelled eggs? All my other hens are normal... she is also an araucana, I'm not sure if that helps or not [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Is she a new layer or has she been laying for a while? If new, it might be that she's trying to get it right. It could also be a calcium deficiency. What are you feeding?

3. Karen 2739

Karen 2739 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    I found 2 soft shelled, broken eggs, on two different occasions. It could only be my Light Brahma. I haven't found one in about 3-4 weeks. My LB is 30 weeks old and has yet to lay an egg, other than the mystery eggs. Lately, she is doing the hen squat and I found her in the nest box today, but no egg. What breed is your hen with the mystery egg? Does my story sound familiar?
    [​IMG]

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:She's a new layer and I've been feeding them the layer pellet I get from the store... lol [​IMG]
    I should probably go check the percentages and whatnot before reporting back
    Though she does not lay every day...

Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by