Mystery hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suebgbr, Apr 16, 2012.

1. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    The chicks I hatched last year were eaten by a fox and a ferret whilst on holiday at my friend's farm.
    She bought me some replacements from a poultry market. I have no idea what breeds they are as I am very new to this (only a few years).

This gray and brown girl is very shy and hasn't started to lay yet (she will probably be a he as I have had that happen before. One didn't crow because of the more dominant male.
    [​IMG]

The black and brown cockerel is half the size of my other cockrel. I don't know if that is because he is only one year old.

[​IMG]

The gray and white girl lays blue/green eggs. She is nesting at the moment but she is totally gorgeous (when she hasn't had all her neck feathers pecked off by the randy cockerel.) She has a tufty bit on her head and no comb. She has blue/gray flaps under her eyes.
    [​IMG]

You are probably all laughing your head off at the 'newby' but I really AM that thick!!

Love Sue x

2. Jenny28

Jenny28 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Chichester, NH
    The first one looks like a roo, not sure what kind, it's hard to tell from the picture. The second one is probably a bantam if he is half the size of your other roo, mostly likely a cochin mix of some kind- they usually are. The third one looks and sounds like an EE(easter egger) if her eggs are multi-colored like that. Does she have puffy cheeks?

3. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    I have no idea about her cheeks? I will have a look. Her eyes are red by the way. I wondered if she was some kind of albino but then figured she would be all white?
    Ps what is a roo!!

4. Jenny28

Jenny28 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Chichester, NH
    Sorry, roo = rooster. [​IMG]

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Second roo is a Wyandotte, he has a rose comb.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    It's really hard to tell from the pics with the wire in the way but the first bird looks like a roo. The second could be a rose combed Rhode Island red or a Wyandotte of some sort but is a lovely roo. The third is probably an EE hen but it would be much easier to tell if we could see her standing naturally in profile and also straight on to see the comb/face.

7. Marbleeeh

Marbleeeh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    The third one sounds like an EE. If she has no comb, she probably has some Breda Fowl in her. She may just have a small 'pea' comb. Is there any evidence of a comb up there? The first one is probably a roo.

8. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Are you in UK or Austraila? Your hen could be an Araucana or cross if you are. They have a very different standard than they do in the US. Here they are tailless and tufted, in the UK, they have tails, beards/muffs, and small crests.

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The first one is a boy, he already has saddle feathers grown in. :(. You won't see an egg from him.

10. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by