Mystery Horse Injuries/Illness :( UPDATED: R.I.P.

MamaDoodle

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
UPDATE:

Trick passed away today.

He began to bleed out of the mouth, refuse food, and we just could not get him up for the world.

He passed away peacefully, just a few deep breaths and stillness. He'll be buried tomorrow under the tree he often grazed beneath.

Thank you all for your kind and supportive replies. As soon as possible I will post pictures of him, his injuries, and note the results of the blood test we wish had been done sooner.

Any prayers or thoughts for my husband are greatly appreciated, he is taking this loss hard as his first horse and close friend.

ORIGINAL:

On the 28th of September, I called my horses to the barn for dinner, and my husband's horse, Trick, did not follow the others. He just stood in the far pasture staring. I got a rope and marched up to him and found him soaked in sweat, bald spots on his left side (cheek, shoulder, leg, side, hip) and a small bloody hole on his right, back fetlock.

I checked the fences, thinking he had gotten a leg stuck and fallen hard, but found nothing sharp or bloody. He had been perfect that morning, and not much does that much that fast. And fight injuries did not look like this. He refused to walk until my husband got home and used treats. It was a long walk. Trick kept his leg stiff and straight, slowly, one step at a time.

The vet arrived the next day and suspected colic. Well, maybe it would give him that bald spots from laying, but not that hole on the other side. Still, I wrapped his leg, gave him Bute, and put him on short term stall rest.

Two days later, Trick did colic. My husband and I spent hours that night keeping him up until he pooped. The next day, his bald spots were skinned, bloody spots. I continued to 're-wrap his leg, the hole getting bigger and dripping pus full time, and now put cream on his other side.

He began to eat and drink better, his leg hole still looking bad, but he was alert...until that weekend. I arrived for his third check in Friday evening and his hip spot was squirting blood like a horror movie. I called my neighbor and she and I did research. The only thing we could find similar was a rattlesnake bite that was not treated in time. I called the vet.

A vet arrived the next day and announced Trick has cellulitis. But...our research seemed so accurate... No. Cellulitis. Well...okay. We started him on antibiotics, more Bute, and iodine cleaning.

The hip hole has grown to be his whole hip. I drain it several times a day of blood, pus, and foam...

This week, he has started to gain weight back he'd lost, limp better, and the washes in his hip began running out clear all the time. I was encouraged.

This morning...

I found him down in the stall. No fever, no bloody mess, and he was pooping fine. But I couldn't get him up. I alerted my husband I may get him from work to say goodbye, and called out myself, sobbing. I petted him as he closed his eyes, groaning each breath. Even vet team work all morning did not work. He quit responding. We started the tractor and pulled him out to prepare, but he eventually staggered to his hooves out in the grass. He shook and stumbled a lot, but even after a full exam, it is unknown what really brought him down.

He has a heart rate of 90 that isn't slowing...

I don't know what to do. :( I'll post pictures tonight...

Last edited:
I am so sorry you're going thru this. How old and what breed is Trick?

He's a 17 year old Appaloosa. He'd been abused as a young horse until a couple years ago when he was rescued and then came to me. I don't know any history of health prior to rescue. :( Unfortunately common when your animals are almost always rescues...but he'd been very alert, athletic, and generally great horse until this happened.

Very perplexing.  Did your vet do a blood test?

No! :hit I have had two different vets here, and neither did one! I tried to bring it up today, but there was so much commotion going on, I got talked over. I got the number of a third vet, but she won't call me back! I don't have the money to go to the equine hospital with him at this point. :(

I know it is a really, really long shot... but, was it storming the day you found him, anytime? We've had cattle hit by lightening that have had similar symptoms. The sores all along one side we always presumed were pressure necrosis from falling over hard on one side.

I hope Trick improves for you. It is so hard to see them suffer and not know what is wrong or how to help them.

I know it is a really, really long shot... but, was it storming the day you found him, anytime? We've had cattle hit by lightening that have had similar symptoms. The sores all along one side we always presumed were pressure necrosis from falling over hard on one side.

I hope Trick improves for you. It is so hard to see them suffer and not know what is wrong or how to help them.

No, but I have an aunt whose three horses all died in one lightning strike. :( I'm terribly sorry about your cows... My fingers are crossed for them as well. :hugs

That is so rough to have an animal go through something and not be able to just tell you what they did...I have a dog that has eaten things and worried me sick.

I would still think it could have been a rattlesnake bite or something like that. If I'm not mistaken, venomous bites can cause cellulitis and it can travel fast and cause tissue to begin to rot. But with a snakebite, there should have been swelling...very strange. I will be praying for him and you guys both!

No!
hit.gif
I have had two different vets here, and neither did one! I tried to bring it up today, but there was so much commotion going on, I got talked over. I got the number of a third vet, but she won't call me back! I don't have the money to go to the equine hospital with him at this point.
sad.png
Interesting, I wonder why? Anyway, is he up to date on vaccines? I was thinking maybe this is a result of a stroke. But I have no clue. Hope you can figure this out.

At this point, I would just try calling all the vets in your area to see if you can get a different one out to see him. At this point it sounds like an emergency. Also, DEMAND they draw blood. They are working for YOU and they should not turn down a clients request for something, unless it is totally out there. (In this case, not at all)

Its difficult to suggest things without seeing him myself, but the high heart rate would be concerning to me. How is his breathing? It sounds like infection may have set in. For some reason your vet is not being open minded, which can be extremely dangerous in situations like this.

I hope things turn out ok. Definitely keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom