Mystery illness deaths in Avairy? Need advice!!

farmdude

Songster
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
NE Wisconsin
I've had doves for 15 years and never have had this happen. I've been finding 2-3 dead every morning for the past week. I don't know why. The food and environment has been the same for years. I live in NE Wisconsin. It's been wet, but we've had wet weather before and this hasn't happened. The coop is dry. I don't know what to do. Can anyone shed any light or give advice?

This is how I normally find the dead ones in the morning. They look like they are sleeping in their nesting baskets. There is no noticeable discharge or change in their behavior prior to death other than acting sleepy or lethargic. They go fast at that point. They ate, drink, fly, coo one day and die the next. I've lost 17 doves and 4 pigeons in the past 10 days.

your best bet is NE pigeon supply, it'll make it in a few days.. if you wait too long it will be a mute point.. Yes its expensive, but if it works you save some pigeons, they will be carriers of it , that is what i have heard. but its better than waiting for them all to die or try to save a few.. Kinda your call..

You might consider getting them vaccinated for PMV.. and keep 4-1 around or some basic meds to treat with, i always have a coxy treatment on hand, wormer, vitamins, probiotics,, and a canker treatment, and salmonella as well. better to have these meds on hand for just this type of t hing...., dont need to wait a week in the future, next it might help to take a dead one in for an autopsy, or diagnosis to find out what did go wrong,... and if you dont normally do it , get a vac kit from NE Supply as well.. certainly can not hurt..

Back
Top Bottom