1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery illness. Even the vet doesn't know.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brissychick, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Brissychick

Brissychick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2015
    I have a 1 year old fwm hen who has taken very ill. Her symptoms include
    Weight loss
    Blue/purple comb
    Discolouration to the legs and skin. It appears Dark red
    Swollen crop without impaction, with a yeasty smell
    Not eating or drinking
    Not pooping
    Weak

We live country Australia in Queensland, our block consists of rain forest And scrub. There are snakes, ticks, leeches, spiders and viscous ants around here. There is a small wound on her leg.

I took stellar to the vets today and he spent an hour trying find the cause. He took swabs that showed very little bacteria etc in her crop. He ruled out sour crop as there wasn't anything showing in the swabs (which surprised me a little). Nothing in her poop.

We have rehydrated her, she is on antibiotics and anti fungal. I am also giving probiotics plus vitamins.

Please I'm desperate, does anyone know what's up with my girl?

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

The blueish comb/skin color means that she isn't getting enough oxygen. Does she appear to be having trouble breathing? Is she coughing/sneezing?
    Feel around her abdomen. She sounds like a couple of my girls that were egg bound/internal laying. If she is laying internally, then it would be better for her to just put her down. [​IMG]
    Can you post pictures?

3. annaBsChick

annaBsChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2014
    Herndon, VA
    Have you tried using poultryDVM's chicken symptom checker yet? It sounds like it could be useful for helping you narrow down the possibilities. Here is a link - http://www.poultrydvm.com/

4. Brissychick

Jan 16, 2015
    I really appreciate all help.

She is breathing normally. No coughing or sneezing. The Vet listened to her chest and said the air sacs are clear.
    The vet did an internal exam yesterday and found not egg or blockages, he also felt all over her.

The photos are from yesterday and don't show the extent of the problem. She had feathered legs but lost them a short while ago. I can't seem to upload the pictured from this morning which show very dark colouration.

The vet suggested I give her a couple of days and then we can end her suffering if need be. Her crop is swollen like a balloon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Brissychick

Jan 16, 2015
    I'll have a look thank you. I haven't had much luck as the symptoms seem too varied. It's like she has several things wrong with her.

6. PeepersMama

Hmm, our rooster's comb get's tinted purple like that when he get's cold... you said purple and i immediately thought, like solid purple; I've seen an internal layer like that [​IMG]
    BUT your vet very likely knows more than I do, and sounds like he really knows what he's doing; wish I could talk dad into finding someone like that [​IMG]

7. Brissychick

Jan 16, 2015
    I've done some more reading and you had some very good points. I wish I had the answer. She's stopped responding to anything and is laying down with her head down. The end is close. She's my first girls I hatched myself and that was only a year ago. It's heartbreaking.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

So sorry.

-Kathy

9. PeepersMama

We hatched one this year. I can't imagine how hard losing a "grandkid" would be [​IMG]

10. MelonHeadSeb

MelonHeadSeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Sounds like sour crop to me when you talk about a swollen crop and a yeasty smell

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by