Mystery illness/injury

Jole

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 23, 2013
I am caring for my daughter's 5 month old hen as I have nursed many back to health. This time is a bit of a mystery. She has been dragging her right leg for two weeks. It feels like she has no muscle/fat on that thigh compared to the other. Her poo is completely normal and no respiratory issues or signs of bumble foot. Her weight seems good except that leg. She is eating, drinking, talking, running from me, but she seems to be losing skin flakes at a rapid rate. Maybe from need of a dirt bath. No feather loss though. To make things more challenging I don't see that she has an injury. I thought maybe vitamin deficiency for which I am treating her, but no significant improvements yet. None of her symptoms seem to indicate anything in particular nor have they worsened. Again she has a lame leg, skin flakes, and tissue loss on imobile leg (which seems normal to happen without use). Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

Mareks disease is a possibility at this age, unfortunately, but I would look for an injury. Can she move her toes or leg at all? Is there any swelling or bruising of the leg or joints? Is she still getting up and walking and dragging her leg? I would place her in a crate or pen with food and water very close to her. You can prop her with towels, or design a chicken sling to get her upright and in front of food and water. It won’t hurt to put some vitamins in her water.

Have you added birds recently? Here is a long, but excellent article on Mareks disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
Thank you for sharing. She is eating and drinking just fine and lameness appears to be her only Mereks symptom. According to what I have read, I expected her to not make it this long or at least show other signs of illness. She moves around on one leg. She can pull the lame leg under her to balance on the knuckle. I have read that some survive Mereks but I can find anything that tells what the recovery looks like. I guess just waiting and not knowing is the hard part.

Back
Top Bottom