Mystery illness, keep losing my girls...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catobsessed, Sep 30, 2016.

1. catobsessed

catobsessed Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    Hi, I posted a little while back saying my chickens wernt feeling well... As it turns out I just lost 3/4 and I only have 1 left... The frustrating part is they act like they are just fine and all of a sudden they get weak and won't eat or drink and just pass the next day. They are only 2 years old, so surely it can't be old age could it? They haven't laid in awhile if that helps bring any light to this.

Anyone have any idea where a girl can get a couple more? The idea of having none is making me want to cry :(

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I am not well versed in poultry diseases so I'm sorry I can't help you there....someone will hopefully chime in soon. But I think before you add birds you really need to clean and and disinfect your coop. Whatever is making your birds die seems contagious. Would hate to see you get new ones just to see them have the same fate. In terms of getting new ones...if you mean chicks, you better make it soon. I think a few of the larger hatcheries are still selling but lots of the smaller ones are done for the season and won't start selling again until February. I wish you all the best in isolating the problem and acquiring replacement birds!

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

I understand you are upset and want more chickens, but you need to find out WHY you have just lost 3 out of 4 chickens in the last few weeks, BEFORE you add any more. If there is a contagious illness or something in their environment that is causing this, your new chickens can be affected as well. You want to have happy healthy chickens.

If you still have the body of one of them, sending it for necropsy would be best. This will give you information on how to move forward.

Can you post some photos of the one that is left, your coop/run?
    What type of food treats do you feed?
    All of them stopped laying eggs?
    What does the poop look like?
    Have you had them the whole 2yrs.?
    Have you given any type of treatment (antibiotics, corid, de-wormers)?

What exactly were the symptoms that they exhibited - lethargic, not eating/drinking, loss of balance, any respiratory symptoms (trouble breathing, coughing, sneezing, runny nose/eyes) etc.?

Look around to see if there is anything moldy, rotten or toxic they could have gotten into. (Moldy feed or bedding, rotting fruits/veggies or something dead and they ate the maggots off of it, rat poison, fertilizer, weed killer, etc.).

Your remaining hen, how is she acting? How does her abdomen feel - any swelling, bloating?

Clean and sanitize all your water stations, clean your feeder and give fresh feed.

If you have a vet available, take a fecal sample to your vet for a fecal float test.

4. catobsessed

catobsessed Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016

Thank you for reaching out during this difficult time

No you're absolutely right, I posted this right when I was grieving the hardest, I know I need to get to the bottom of this first.

I'll answer the questions the best that I can

I'll post pics on another quote, but my coop is above ground and doesn't have anything like hay or bedding, it gets cleaned daily with soap and water, every once in awhile bleach

I give them good quality feed from tractor and supply, Walmart started selling scratch for chickens so
    I bought a bag too

Yes all stopped laying

I've had them since they were a few days old, which is why these loses are so hard

I've been giving them supplements with vitamins and electrolytes, formulated for laying hens

The healthy one is popping normal but the others were pooping white dry urine and ones butt was throbing....

As far as symthoms go there isn't really any... They just stop eating, drinking, and get lethargic and bam
    Pass away.... One common thing I did notice was parts of their combs would turn black, part of me was thinking it might be dirt? And they were breathing heavy.

As far as dead animals go there wasn't any but that's a very smart thing to point out!

The remaining one seems to be just fine, she sneezes some but other than that she's on the prowl

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take a poop sample to your vet for testing? Test for bacteria, cocci and worms.

How often does she sneeze? Some respiratory illnesses can cause them to stop laying eggs, the combs turning black can be an indication of not enough oxygen. White poop = kidneys not functioning? You mention it was a dry white poop - was this like a normal poop, but all white or was it more like egg white matter?

Did you happen to feel their abdomens - if so, were they hard, soft, fluid filled, normal, etc.?
    How long of a time period did you notice they were feeling off and then they passed (days, weeks)?

I'm sorry to ask all the questions, it's just the way my mind works - drives the hubby crazy sometimes[​IMG]

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Need to see a picture of your setup. When was the last time you dewormed?

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Feeding Chickens is a bit tricky.....Did you change feed? Add something new to the feeding besides the scratch grain....???
    Too many treats?
    I have a feeling it is a nutritional issue your birds died from....Swelling in the intestines with gasses will kill birds very quickly....

Sorry more info needed....

I strictly feed my Birds from 18 weeks till one year a 50/50 mix of Grower and layer pellets, oyster shell on the side to free choice.
    After a year I feed Flock raiser with layer pellets 50/50......Treats at 5% of daily ration....I treat mine once a week....

Sorry for the loss....Hope my info helped?

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by