mystery illness killed my pet rooster need help figuring out what it is!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maransfan16, Dec 20, 2012.

1. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    last week i went to check on my five black japenese bantams and the day before they were all healthy and active. then the next day my prized rooster is sickly looking whereas the day before he was bright red in the face and then that day he was paler red with yellow blotches on his face and he was droopy with pasty white poop on his feathers around the vent. i don't know much about the healthcare part of chickens so i did the only thing i could think of. i gave him some medicated chick starter with his usual food and some save-a-chick electrolytes in his water and he was starting to get better but then a few days ago i went out to check on him and he had died[​IMG]someone told me it might have been liver failure but i don't know all i know is that it wasn't because of old age because he had just turned two this year. i just want to know what happened and how to treat this if it happens to one of my other little japs HELP

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. The best thing to do would be send him off for a necropsy. Contact your local vet school for more info. If you're in CA, they're free.

3. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    thanks but i don't think anyone here in the part of kentucky i'm in does them and the ones who do probably wouldn't be cheap besides i've already disposed of the body

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Maryland does out of state birds for a small fee, and I'm sure there is somewhere in KY that does something similar. FWIW, I FedEx mine in a box lined with foam and a couple of ice packs. Just think about it for next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by