1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery illness/problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wildspiritedelz, Feb 7, 2014.

1. wildspiritedelz

wildspiritedelz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Gloucestershire, uk
    Hi!

One of my chickens woke up this morning ill. Came straight out the hen house, avoided the food and sat in the garden... At first I thought she was just put off by other chickens. Then later on, she hadn't really moved much so came over and picked her up (she will normally not let me do this!) and inspected her... Her vent didn't look blocked, no runny nose or eyes... Wattle and comb lovely and deep red... She was just so sad looking and quite limp.. Rushed her to vets and they emptied her crop (which was filled with fluid.. But couldn't suck out an obvious blockage), her temp was slightly raised.. No blocked vent... Ect.. So any idea what's wrong with her? I've left her with the vet as they are giving her quiet time and antibiotics.. But even vet said she looked very poorly.. :/ but no idea what's wrong.. She was absolutely fine yesterday..! We did have a very wet day yesterday, possibly a chill? Thanks for any advice/help

Elz :)

2. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Awww so sorry yo hear about your chicken. I hope the vet can f2f one what's wrong. :(

3. wildspiritedelz

Aug 27, 2013
    Gloucestershire, uk
    She passed away at the vets :( post Morton revealed she had peritonitis from an egg that never formed properly -it was like a huge yolk that ruptured and went hard boiled. Rip lilac, enjoy the big hen house in the sky, lay lots of lovely eggs for the angels xxxxx

4. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Sorry to hear that she passed.

5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    So sorry for your loss. :hugs

6. wildspiritedelz

Aug 27, 2013
    Gloucestershire, uk
    Thank you :) I miss her already :( xxx

7. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss, at least you know what was wrong with her and there will be no wondering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by