Mystery illness resulting in chick death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmarvin, May 29, 2016.

1. kmarvin

kmarvin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Northwest Alaska
    I had a 3-4 week old chick pass away yesterday. It was lethargic and ruffled and a bit unsteady on its legs for over a week before it died. No diarrhea or bloody stools that I noticed. Lost interest in drinking and eating but would eat fermented feed when offered. Any clue what's going on? I don't think it's Merek's but really don't know. Now another chick has been showing similar symptoms for the past 4 days. These chicks were all very healthy when I first purchased them at one week of age.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get some Corid (amprollium) and start treating for possible coccidiosis. That would be the most common illness in a 3-4 week old chick that caused those symptoms and death. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the Corid powder per gallon of water for 5 days as the only water source. Treat all chicks at once, and later follow this up with some yogurt and vitamins for a few more days. Corid is found in the cattle medicines in feed stores.

3. kmarvin

kmarvin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Northwest Alaska
    Thank you. I have been giving them powdered corid for three days but I've only been putting in 1/2 tsp per gallon. I will up the dosage.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some older threads recommend that dosage, but newer ones use the larger dosage for an acute outbreak. Corid is very safe, and is used off-label in chickens.

Last edited: May 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by