1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery illness??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abbimac13, Mar 9, 2017.

1. abbimac13

abbimac13 New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Hello!
    We've got a 4 year old hen that is having some respiratory issues and we can't seem to pinpoint what it is or how to treat her.
    Here are her symptoms:
    Coughing/sneezing - but more when she's grazing than when she's in her run.
    Labored breathing through her mouth - again, more when she's out free grazing than when she's in her run
    Because of the increase in respiratory strain when she is moving, I wondered if it could be heart related?
    She doesn't have any discharge or foamy eyes - still eating and drinking normally.
    We gave her 4 days of Tylan 50 with no change in her symptoms. We have also given her electrolytes and yogurt.
    Her coop and run are well ventilated and clean.
    We aren't really sure what to do next to help relieve her of her symptoms! Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated!

2. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    Does she have a smell to her face like rot? Have you introduced any other chickens recently?

3. abbimac13

abbimac13 New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    No! She smells fine and we haven't had any new chickens. We also tried vetrx with no noticeable relief.

4. abbimac13

abbimac13 New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Any new ideas? She doesn't seem to be getting better and isn't eating much. We've been leaving her in the chicken run since she isn't as symptomatic in there but just wish there was something we could do to help her to breathe better.

5. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    I really don't know. Hopefully someone will be along shortly who has more ideas than me about it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by