Mystery illness

crittercaretech

out of the house and into the grow out coop
Mar 1, 2020
About 4 days ago I moved 4 young hens about 5-6 months old to the main coop on the other side of the property. I sectioned off a small area with am outside run for them to stay in while they get to know the older hens. The others free range during the day but these youngsters were kept in their run. Yesterday around 10am I noticed one just seemed a little off although it was hard to say for sure. I had to leave for a while but by noon it was obvious she wasn't herself. Still seemed alert but making a strange honk/sneezing noise and making a strange moaning noise when she took a breath or exhaled. Started out thinking it was a cry of sorrow as it sounded like she was sad. She only did it sometimes and while I was making a separate spot for her for observation in quickly became a noise she made with every breath. I noticed a poop that looked different than her normal poop at the same time. Attached poop photo and a short video of the noise she makes while breathing. Our phones and internet was down yesterday so I was thinking of all the things I could think of to treat her for in a hail marry attempt to save her. I brought her inside and peparred a 2 teaspoon per gallon Corid solution and mixed a 250 fish mox capsule into a bottle of water and syringes a mixture of the two. She did not have any signs of respiratory infection as her nose and eyes were clear so gapeworm came to mind. So I gave her an appropriate dose of 1.87 ivermectin paste wormer unsure if that would help or not. I checked her for mites and lice but found none. Then I dripped about 2 ml of nutridrench over her beak. She was very willing to take the syringe fed water but not the bowl of water inoffered and did not want to eat. I had to leave again and returned several hours later to find her gasping for air making the same noise very faintly and expected her to pass away by overnight. Today she is bright eyed eating drinking and acting very much herself. Early this morning she still made the moaning noise occasionally but that resolved by mid morning .Now I have no idea what treatment if any helped, and what it was I was fighting so I can continue with meds if needed or treat the flock if necc
KIMG4750.jpg
esary. Any ideas . I'm having trouble posting the video but will keep trying. Also should mention the other hens that I moved with her are acting normal

Last edited:
That looks like a cecal poop, which can be normal every somoften. You can post a vieo to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Since you moved her over to some new soil, it probably won’t hurt to treat with Corid in case of coccidiosis. I would bet that the noise she was making was stridor, a noise they can make if they have a small piece of food stuck inside the airway. That usually goes away in a few hours, but if it doesn’t, and there is also sneezing, it can be a sign of a respiratory infection. Gapeworm is fairly rare, but the best treatment is SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the Equine paste, 1/4 ml per pound given for 5 straight days. Ivermectin has said to have lost effectiveness in recent years due to it’s overuse as a mite and lice killer. Let us know how your chicken gets along. This is a video of a chicken with stridor:

That looks like a cecal poop, which can be normal every somoften. You can post a vieo to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Since you moved her over to some new soil, it probably won’t hurt to treat with Corid in case of coccidiosis. I would bet that the noise she was making was stridor, a noise they can make if they have a small piece of food stuck inside the airway. That usually goes away in a few hours, but if it doesn’t, and there is also sneezing, it can be a sign of a respiratory infection. Gapeworm is fairly rare, but the best treatment is SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the Equine paste, 1/4 ml per pound given for 5 straight days. Ivermectin has said to have lost effectiveness in recent years due to it’s overuse as a mite and lice killer. Let us know how your chicken gets along. This is a video of a chicken with stridor:
Yes that is exactly the noise she was making. I wasnt sure on the poop it seemed a little foamy but it might have been my imagination in a panic. I don't feel as confident as a chicken Mom when I lost internet and access to articles and information found here. Lol. So she would have been just fine without all my hail merry treatments, lol. I will continue the corrid for all 4 girls I moved and discontinue the antibiotic. is there any reason not to put her back outside with her friends? Thank you so much

She is back with her friends and they were very happy to see her. After strutting around and having a good dust bath she started looking for food.I took a few pictures of Lily strutting her stuff when she went back out and wanted to share my naked neck cutie. thank you for the guidance
DSC_0571.JPG

Back
Top Bottom