Mystery illness

Kraken_rises

Hatching
May 14, 2020
Hi, I'm hoping someone might recognise symptoms - I'm not getting anywhere with Google.

I have a 3 year old Speckledy (barred rock?) hen. She's been either not laying or laying soft shelled eggs for a while but all my little flock were a bit off. I gave them all medicated worming feed around a month ago.
She started roosting on a lower perch about a week ago then graduated to sleeping in the nest. I blamed this on a large red (bruise?) patch on her leg, quite high up, I cleaned it and left her to recover.
Last night she was found sleeping outside the coop.
She's been passing green and white poop (thin, as in skinny rather than large lumps) and her back end was all crusted. I gave her an Epsom salt bath and cleaned her. She felt very skinny, nothing near her vent felt odd but she has a golf ball sized very hard lump in the crop area. I've felt impacted crop before but this is as round and hard as if she had swallowed a whole egg!

Now she's stood with her eyes closed slightly tilted forward, so tail up. She will have a tiny sip of water if her beak is dipped and she has pecked once at any food I offer.

Any ideas? I'm grateful for any suggestions, if I google the hard lump thing I just get variations on 'its the crop dummy'

Kraken_rises

Hatching
May 14, 2020
This seems to be a case of impacted crop and needs immediate treatment as this is a life threatening condition.

Here are two methods I use with good results:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...chicken’s-impacted-crop.1378235/post-22647214
Thank you for your response. I had a hen with an impacted crop before and this is much more solid and stands out, I can't stress enough how much this feels like a solid ball. She hasn't had access to the long grass or similar that would normally be a cause. She hasn't done any of the odd neck movements either.

LaFleche

Crowing
Sep 22, 2012
Germany
Sometimes they eat undigestible stuff like a piece of plastic or whatever, which then obstructs the passageway leading to slowly forming a hard ball with all the other food.

Top Bottom