1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery Illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by feltman, Jan 31, 2011.

1. feltman

feltman New Egg

Apr 30, 2010
    Subject:
    Red sex-link hen about 1 year old.

Symptoms:
    A few weeks of steady feather loss, followed by increasingly listless behavior. Now at 4 weeks or so into the illness she's frail has good days and bad but even at her best she looks pretty bad. Eyes slightly bubbly at corners--often shut. Still has appetite and drinking, but has segregated herself from the flock. Feather loss has stopped.

Comments:
    At first I thought it was a molt. feathers were dropped at an increasing rate. She was fine otherwise. Slowly she became hermetic, more listless and generally crappy. Egg production has ceased. Her poop looks fine, though. And she does eat and drink--occasionally with gusto. Funny thing is there are days where she looks like she's gonna drop dead any second, then the next day or so she looks like she's on the mend.

None of my other birds seem to be affected.

Any thoughts?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Almost sounds like she has a couple of different things going on.
    I'd check her for lice/mites.
    Any discharge from her beak?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by