Mystery injury on silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waffleinator, Dec 29, 2016.

1. waffleinator

waffleinator Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    I picked up my silkie chicken and noticed that she had a lump on her leg. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's raised and had a really thick black scab. I washed the area and the scab loosened and actually came off [​IMG] The area that's left in about the size of a golf ball, raised, and red. (And really nasty looking!) Pretty sure it's infected. I put on some neosporin and wrapped it up, but I think she needs some sort of antibiotic. There are not any avian vets where I live so I don't know what to do! I have cephalexin...but that's about it.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Would you be able to post a picture please of the lump? Also where abouts on the leg is the lump?

3. waffleinator

waffleinator Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    I will try to get a picture, I have another chicken now that's also sick, not sure if it's related. She's listless, hardly moving, and had lots of poop stuck to her butt. I've cleaned her up and she's sleeping in my lap. Really worried about these too [​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Could be a tumour.........If so, not good at all......Abscess also comes to mind.........Hmmm....?

More info needed....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by