Mystery Laying. Help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hippie Chicks Mom, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    My RIR was acting lethargic and had diarrhea yesterday. Was not eating, just laying around, sleepy. During the night she passed an egg in 2 pieces, the shell which was soft and folded up and a very gelantinous egg with the consistency of a water balloon. Was she egg bound? I did try to palpate her abdomen in the morning when I saw she was not acting herself. I did not feel anything at the time. Any input would be of interest to me Thanks.

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    How is she now? You might want to crush up a Tums and add a little water to make a paste and see if you can get her to eat it. She probably was egg bound, and I hope that she was able to expell all of the pieces. I would also give her some vitamins and electrolytes just to perk her up, and maybe keep her in a darkened area to disrupt the egglaying cycle. Good luck with your bird.

3. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Thank you. She is doing better today, eating, drinking, preening. Thank you for your suggestions. I will try them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by