Mystery lubs on my baby chicks

Mother hen 119

Chirping
Oct 18, 2017
Millington, MD
I have a few baby chicks. I was checking them over and I Noticed that a couple of them seem to have a lamp on their chest. I don’t know what it is they seem to be doing good but the lump seems to be growing as they do. Can anybody tell me what this is or what may have caused this?

Attachments

• 16A3AA48-EC7F-4BEE-9E78-3BB3F0B0BE15.jpeg
    16A3AA48-EC7F-4BEE-9E78-3BB3F0B0BE15.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 8
  • D52F9EC1-791B-4D0D-9202-704F90A737E3.jpeg
    D52F9EC1-791B-4D0D-9202-704F90A737E3.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 7
Would you be able to tell me by any chance how to tell if They are ruse or hands? They are just starting to get their adult theaters and I would like to know if possible how many hands I have.

Hehe, this is actually pretty common for first time chicken parents - I even felt a little freaked out when I first noticed my first lot of day olds with gigantic full crops one evening! They'd stuffed themselves absolutely full and were snuggling down to sleep, so they probably didn't appreciate my concerned handling and prodding, waking them up But oh well, it's better to be safe than sorry and reassurance is always nice :) Also, when you end up taking them outside for the first time, don't be freaked out when they start throwing themselves at the ground, kicking their legs around and flinging dirt everywhere with their wings and feathers all puffed up - They look like they're having some sort of fit but they're just dustbathing, hehe. I've seen a lot of concerned new chick parents frantically worried about that too, so I figured I'd give you a heads up just in case :) Chickens are seriously funny and interesting animals, full of silly quirks and funny habits. Enjoy your babies while they're young and fluffy!

Hehe, this is actually pretty common for first time chicken parents - I even felt a little freaked out when I first noticed my first lot of day olds with gigantic full crops one evening! They'd stuffed themselves absolutely full and were snuggling down to sleep, so they probably didn't appreciate my concerned handling and prodding, waking them up But oh well, it's better to be safe than sorry and reassurance is always nice :) Also, when you end up taking them outside for the first time, don't be freaked out when they start throwing themselves at the ground, kicking their legs around and flinging dirt everywhere with their wings and feathers all puffed up - They look like they're having some sort of fit but they're just dustbathing, hehe. I've seen a lot of concerned new chick parents frantically worried about that too, so I figured I'd give you a heads up just in case :) Chickens are seriously funny and interesting animals, full of silly quirks and funny habits. Enjoy your babies while they're young and fluffy!
Thank you for all the info. I love watching both my babies and adult chickens that I have. Like you said they are funny. This summer I will have my adult chickens for a year. This is the first time I hatched and I love it

The babies that I have now I just starting to get their adult feathers do you by any chance know how to tell if the roosters or hands.?

The babies that I have now I just starting to get their adult feathers do you by any chance know how to tell if the roosters or hands.?
Usually they have to be around 6-8 weeks to sex unless they are auto sexing or sex links. Then post pictures in the breed and gender forum. Be sure to include a pic of their face and body. You should be able to tell based on their comb size and color. Roos combs will get large and colored early on.

Back
Top Bottom