Mystery Meyer Hatchery Chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RoostersCrow HensDeliver!, Aug 23, 2013.

1. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I got this pullet in my order of either my Rare Layer Assortment or my All Pullet Rainbow Pack from Meyer Hatchery. I have looked through all of the breed pictures online and in the catalog, and cannot match her to any breed. Any ideas on what she is? She is the cute little chestnut headed/silver and black marked chick in the middle of the pic.

[​IMG]

I do not think she is an EE , Campine, or Egyptian Fayoumis, and I have run out of breeds with dark legs. I believe she has a single comb, but I will double check when I get home.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My guess would have been an EF, what does the patterning on her back look like? Meyer has them, though they are not listed under possible rare breeds, they do say "and others". Feathersite has pics of EF chicks in case you did not see them.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Her back is black and silver marked, its not a mottled pattern or a chipmunk pattern. Its just a random black here and silver there. I was not thinking Egyptian Fayoumis because Meyers picture of them is a mostly black chick. Here is their pic:
    [​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Interesting, I've never gotten EFs from Meyer, but have from a couple of other places, and the chicks did not look like that picture that Meyer has up, wonder if they have the wrong picture up or they have a strain with very different looking chicks. The ones I have gotten have looked like the pictures of the chicks up on Feathersite. http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Fayu/BRKFayoumi.html

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Oh wow, that's a HUGE difference. Maybe Meyer does have the wrong picture on there.
    The Feathersite picture is more similar to my chick and I just looked up the breed pics at Cackle Hatchery and I think you are right, those babies look very similar to mine. Thank you Kelsie2290 ! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by