Mystery of 200 Dead Cows in Wisconsin Solved

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mugen, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Mugen

Mugen Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Authorities investigating the deaths of 200 cows in Wisconsin have come up with an unlikely culprit: the sweet potato.

The cows were found dead in a Stockton pasture two weeks ago. Locals were left scratching their heads about what caused the mass die-off.

Investigators from the University of Wisconsin have determined that the animals were killed by a poison found in spoiled sweet potatoes that were part of the cattle's feed.

Read rest of article:
    http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/29/my...est=latestnews

FYI

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    OMG thanks so much for putting this up, I have a lil cow and I would of never thought that would kill them

3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    gee ya suppose thats what happens to animals when you feed the poor things rotten food? Thats sad!

4. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    You honestly believe that? Thats just like them saying all those birds died from flying into buildings. Explains how so many were found along a highway. Yeah, sure!! First birds, now cows. Next.....................

Rammy

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:Actually, yes. In Ben Green's book, "The Village Horse Doctor: West of the Pecos" he describes a similar situation with roots growing wild on a mountainside being grazed upon and killing livestock, I believe they were either cows or sheep and I am trying to recall, and I think the roots were wild potatoes. This book was published 60-70 years ago. So I'm sure there's a good possibility here. I have heard that one should never reheat baked potatoes for humans to eat because the double cooking can release a poison that can kill humans, so I sure do think there is something to this.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Potatos carry toxins. I don't believe sweet potatos do. They aren't even in the same family. Even less so if we are actually talking about yams. Of course anything spoiled can kill livestock. Some types of mold are highly toxic and can kill even when the feed looks just fine.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:What else are we supposed to believe? Do tell.. [​IMG]

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:It's not always that obvious. Just as the s. enteritidis outbreak this summer was traced back to tainted meat and bone meal, we have seen cases of aflotoxins in corn and vomotoxins in wheat and barley in our area. Many times the mills screen for common toxins, but some inevitably gets through the system. You can't always tell a feedstock is bad just by looking at it.

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:It's not always that obvious. Just as the s. enteritidis outbreak this summer was traced back to tainted meat and bone meal, we have seen cases of aflotoxins in corn and vomotoxins in wheat and barley in our area. Many times the mills screen for common toxins, but some inevitably gets through the system. You can't always tell a feedstock is bad just by looking at it.

Yes, and there have been many feed recalls from feed companies due to toxins in corn.

10. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Actually, yes. In Ben Green's book, "The Village Horse Doctor: West of the Pecos" he describes a similar situation with roots growing wild on a mountainside being grazed upon and killing livestock, I believe they were either cows or sheep and I am trying to recall, and I think the roots were wild potatoes. This book was published 60-70 years ago. So I'm sure there's a good possibility here. I have heard that one should never reheat baked potatoes for humans to eat because the double cooking can release a poison that can kill humans, so I sure do think there is something to this.

I love twice-baked potatoes. I thought it was sprouted potatoes that were toxic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by