Mystery of a fourth egg....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kscottjoyce, Mar 21, 2011.

1. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Hey there,
    So I have three RIR hens. For the past few days I have been wondering why I can only find 2 eggs in the coop. I figured they found somewhere in the yard to lay a couple. Today I eventually did get three eggs again. I left the house for a few hours and came back to find that a fourth egg had been laid and the shell was eaten from it by the hens. Does anyone know of an explanation of how a fourth egg could have been laid?

2. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Not sure why you got 4, but you may have only gotten two before because you have an egg eater. Do they get calcium supplement?

3. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    I give them layer feed which I was told that contains the proper amount of calcium for layers.

4. EssexGirl

EssexGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Hayward
    Do you know for sure that your hens ate the shell (evidence of pieces of broken shell, insides broken)? If the inside was whole, it could be that one of them laid a soft-shelled egg. They don't always lay an egg each every day, and then it is possible (but unusual) to get a soft-shelled egg even after they've already laid a normal egg.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    It is possible for a hen to lay two eggs in one day. It sounds like someone's "conveyor belt" was a little out of whack. [​IMG] I would keep an eye on them to make sure nobody becomes eggbound or has any other laying issues.

I would let one egg eating incident go (the egg may have been broken accidently) but if you see it again you will have to take action. Search for "egg eating" to pull up more info.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by