mystery of death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencarsten, Dec 12, 2008.

1. chickencarsten

chickencarsten Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    ipswich massachusetts
    a couple of days agoi was closing the chickens pen for the night and a only found 9 chickens. one was died in a corner. any ideas on hpw it might have died.[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

How old was it, anything change? Might need more details.

Sometimes hens do just fall dead for no apparent reason like a bump on the head, heart attacks, internal issues.

3. chickencarsten

Dec 8, 2008
    ipswich massachusetts
    she was around 6 months old. i feed them salad in the morning and after noon with a little bread and dry food. in the evening i usually just give them dry food and bread.none of the other chickens are looking differrent or acting different.

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Have they had any vaccines in the past and have you introduced any new chickens to your flock recently?

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I'm sorry. I can't answer your question but I did want to suggest that you have chicken feed available for them 24/7. If you feed them periodically and they don't have food available at all times, perhaps the one that died wasn't getting enough to eat? Just a thought.

6. chickencarsten

Dec 8, 2008
    ipswich massachusetts
    i do feed my chickens 24/7 but in the evening i feed them a little more.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

So you are providing them with fresh layer pellets in their coop 24/7, in a feeder, so they can eat up as much as they like, in addition to giving a few treats in the morning and evening?

If so, at 6 months, could have been developmental and a random death isn't really much to be concerned about as point of lay is the second weak spot for mysterious death due to reproductive tract issues, with number one age being the first few weeks of life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by