Mystery of the shelless egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 8, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have 11 hens and this morning at 9:00am I went into the coop to get 10 perfect eggs and one strange looking one...an egg, but just a weird shape. Then this evening I went out to the coop to shut the doors and on the lawn I saw a perfect yolk and white and no sign of shell. How the heck would that happen??? Just weird to me...anyone have this happen?

2. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    It seems it is very common. New layer or some sort of upset. Just working out the plumbing! Make sure you offer oystershell even if you feed layer feed!

3. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Thanks...it does seem I am not the only one...

They have oystershells in a dish and grit in another...but they are out and about for the grit, I wonder if I should spread the oyster shell around instead of in a dish???

thanks

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    My girls were laying fine and then all of the sudden no eggs one day and then shell-less eggs the next. I had let the three of them eat a half a watermelon and the next day a whole banana. I think it was too much treat and they were not getting enough of their chicken feed or oyster shells. I cut them off and two days later, back to three perfect eggs a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by