mystery on our hands

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clax170, Oct 13, 2011.

1. clax170

clax170 New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    We have one Easter Egger, one Rhode Island red and Two Plymouth Barred's. Easter Egger lays green/blue eggs. All have started laying and this happened...
    (mind you, they all lay by noon (we think) bc the weekends we check more often and the eggs are in by noon)
    Tue: go out and get 3 eggs (bl. 2br.)4pm
    Wed: go out and get 3 eggs (bl 2br) 4pm
    Thur: wife goes out 4:30 and finds 4 eggs ( YEAH! first time ever)
    wait...they are all brown? One is smaller than the other's but not by much.

Please explain your theory...

Theory 1 did one of our brown layers lay a second one?...
    Theory 2 the Easter egger layed a brown egg today (she had laid 5 blue eggs 5 days straight up to this point)
    Theory 3 one laid one yesterday after 4:00 pm (after I got the eggs) and we didn't see it until today when the three brown laying girls all laid and the blue one didn't (almost like a sleight of hand in a card trick)

your thougts?

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I vote for theory 3....those girls like to keep us guessing [​IMG]

3. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I would go with theory #3 One of my BR's didn't lay until after 5 last night. First time for that to happen.

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I'd go with theory 3, it's the most likely scenario. While it is possible for a hen to lay two a day, it's very rare. I have witnessed it from my Buckeye, though. But it has only happened once, and she went broody immediately after. I think maybe she was trying to lay as many as possible to have a decent clutch. Theory #2 isn't possible, they can't switch egg color.

I'm very excited for you, isn't it such a thrill to find eggs in that box?

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:x2

6. clax170

clax170 New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    thank you all. Regardless of why, it's still fun.

7. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I only have three hens and I always get one egg by 10am. But the other two I usually get between 12pm and 4pm. I know everyone here says they lay by noon but my three girls don't care what they say at BYC they lay when they want to. Someone always lays in the afternoon here.

8. clax170

clax170 New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    Four eggs today, 3 brown and 1 blue.
    My rhode island red was in the box at 4pm and laid two minutes later...

mystery sort of solved....

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:My hens are in a different time zone, but they agree with yours! Only one of 10 lays before 10am. Some wait until after 4. The rest are in between. I think they are just not morning people, like me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by