Mystery Predator....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lacrego, Mar 22, 2013.

1. lacrego

lacrego Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Montana
    Came home from the grocery store to all my hens running free. I keep an old pallet leaned against the doorway to the coop to keep my sheep out of the coop, the pallet was right were I left it. Inside the coop I found the gate latch bent (door opened inward) and wide open. I found a decent amount of blood all over a nesting box, on the gate frame and spots of blood other places. All my birds are accounted for (thank God!)

What on earth could it be?

I thought dog, but the dog would have knocked over the pallet to get inside, then I thought cat but it's not strong enough to bend a gate latch? Then I though maybe a fox? But we recently had a fox attack on the property and he killed 6 birds in a matter of 30 minutes, so I don't think it was a fox. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't Cornell Mustard with the candlestick in the dinning room either. Any ideas?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Could the blood be from one of the chickens having trouble laying an egg? (Not sure how it would have gotten on the gate). Do your hens appear uninjured?

3. lacrego

Aug 17, 2012
    Montana
    Everyone is alright, there was one bird with blood on her but no injuries... All the eggs were covered in blood and blood spatters in and out side of the nesting boxes. My father in laws guess was a weasel trying to steal eggs and got a beating from the girls. Whatever it was I think my hens won! Go girls [​IMG]

4. lacrego

Aug 17, 2012
    Montana
    Box* not boxes, my girls like just one box to lay in. So whatever went down went down in (or just outside) the box.

5. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, got me shaking my head as well. Just the bent latch throws me off. It would take some doing to do that. Have you checked out your hens feet to see whether or not someone lost a toe nail. Sometimes they can get yanked out and take a while to stop bleeding. There could be blood spread around from that.

The only animals I can think of are coyote or dog who would have the strength to bend a door latch. Obvoiusly not bear as you would not have much around after the fact. When I have an issue such as that I use the old reliable camcorder along with my vcr and tape the coop area overnights and if I was to go away with no one home.

I have gotten footage of fox, raccoon, weasel, mink... and acted accordingly with live traps or 22 rifle... Best of luck. Glad no birds were lost so far... Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by