Mystery Predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenlover247, Feb 12, 2014.

1. We live in the Northwest in the US, and I saw a creature about the size of a skunk or possum, it was at dusk.

It hasn't killed any chickens yet, but I want to know what it is so we can get rid of it. Do you have any idea what it is?

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Not without a picture or description of what it looked like, there are plenty of different things that could be that size, Coon, fisher, maybe large pine marten, or even larger mink?

3. alldembirds

alldembirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    I'm guessing it was some sort of crepuscular animal.. something about the size of a skunk or opossum.

Its imposable to tell without more information....[​IMG]

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I wouldn't assume it's a predator first of all. We can't just eliminate wild animals because we raise poultry. Some are actually beneficial to keeping predators away. We almost never have to kill wild animals here, and we are on the edge of the woods.

5. Cluckysnap123

Cluckysnap123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2014
    Hmmm.... maybe a martin or skunk or maybe a mink. More details.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably a skunk or a possum, lol.....could have been a coon...or a cat...or a small dog.
    Set up a trap and see what you catch....be ready to dispatch it tho, do not relocate.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  7. alldembirds

alldembirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    i know everybody is too afraid to say it but we all know what it is......................chupacabra!

8. We don't have any small dogs or wild cats, I have never seen a mink, a Martin or a Fisher. So which do you think it is Coon, Possum, or Skunk?

9. Maybe...but it would have to be a really young one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by