Mystery Quail Death!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Birdman18, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I bought a pair, male and female Bobwhite Quail about a month and a week ago from a Game bird Farm. They were doing fine until today I went to feed them and the male quail died. I just couldn't believe it! [​IMG]
    I really love these Bobwhite Quail and don't want this to happen when they die so suddenly and I only have the pair for a month, I was planning on having this pair for this coming Spring for breeding. I just want to figure out what happened so it will never happen again.
    I could always get more birds if I have too, its the part of having them live long lives, that's the problem.

I feed them a Poultry/Gamebird feed that has 22% protein in it, the brand is Manna Pro. I give them a little wild bird seed too. I feed them every other day. I also give them collard greens that i rip up for them before giving it to them. For their water I use liquid vitamins to ensure they stay healthy. Don't understand what happened? [​IMG] Their in a pen all by themselves, their not mixed with other breeds I made sure they were separated.

I'm just actually just starting to get back into keeping Bobwhites, I used to have them at least 7 or 8 years ago and they too had the same problem where they all died so quickly. I really want to enjoy raising them again and can't do that if they keep dying on me. I'm not going to give up on this Quail Species.

If anyone can help me figure out what happened or what I did wrong and put an end to the loss of these birds, I would be very happy and appreciated!! [​IMG]

Thank You!!

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    I don't have bob's...but have other new world quail as well as cots. I know with all the breeds that I've got, they are very high energy, especially this time of year when its getting colder they use massive amounts of energy to keep warm...I would never miss a day between feedings.

Could also been an issue with the wild bird seed you gave them. The manufactures don't have the sanitary requirements like feed packaging plants.

With the greens you could of also given him a "soured crop"...did the body have any unusual/rotten smells when you disposed of it?

What size of cage do you have them in? Were there "pecked to death" signs? The females act like my ex-wife and in small confined area could have hen-pecked him to death.

What type of vitamins were giving them? Things that are ok for chickens aren't always ok for game birds...just a thought.

Good luck with your future additions.

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Did they have access to grit? If your feeding them bird seed they would need grit or crushed Oyster shell.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Are there wounds to the male at all? Aggressive hen? It happens with bobs. Did a snake try to get him (it may be too cold for snakes where you are at). They can "try" to get a bird and sometimes leave the body if they are too small. Examine the body. Now since he is gone [​IMG] the bugs will go to the next bird but check the hen in that matter as well. Parasites... Mites! Little bugs that will suck the blood and cause the bird to be anemic. Deaths can occur this way too. Old age is another. Do you know how old your pair is by chance? did he show any lethargy the past few days?

5. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Thanks Guys for replying!! I appreciate it

For now on I will feed them every day, I do check up on them at least one time each day. Should I not give them greens anymore I don't see how they could kill them they eat plenty of that in the wild and their fine. I just buried the bird but I will double check and see if their was any odor, I didn't notice any odor when I buried him. I would say the pen is 3 feet by 4 feet at the least. I know their were no signs of pecking, they have been fine for a month getting along with each other I doubt he died because of pecking.
    Ok, for the vitamins I bought this at a local pet store it says, "Daily Liquid Multi-Vitamins for birds" from LM Animal Farms it says its good for all kinds of birds.

Yes I do provide them with sand every week or so, as their grit.

I really hope I can figure out what the problem was. Thanks for helping me!!

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Also I saw 22% protein. Could you find another brand of feed that could up it to 24% At least? 24% should be the minimum amount of protein given to quail. The varied diet of finch seeds added in is great, I am concerned with the main course, however.

7. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I went back outside to further examine the body of the quail. I still do not see any damage at all the feathers were all perfectly in place. I did notice though towards the belly area underneath the quail is this bone that is sticking out kind of like a sharp knife, does this give any clues as to what happened? And also the crop area was completely empty, I couldn't even feel the crop area as it wasn't full.
    Is it possible that maybe the quail was paralyzed, the legs were opened straight right next to each other.

Thanks! [​IMG]

8. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Would anyone have an idea what happened? Do you think the bird seed killed him, if there was no grit? or not feeding them every day?

9. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I believe that stating the cause of death of an animal I've never seen/examined would be grossly irresponsible of me. Unfortunately, there is such a broad range of possibilities that an acurate guess wouldbe difficult.

My suggestion to you is that when you next have quail, go by the nutrition guidelines given in this thread and also in the sticky at the top of the quail section. If nothing else, you'd be eliminating any of those as possibilities.

Sorry you've gone through all of this. Hoping you have better luck with your future qualies!

10. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I agree with Navasima.
    It's very hard to say from here.

You've been given some great advice here and if you read through the stickies, you'll find so much more great info.

Try to find a higher protein, offer some grit, and I think things will be good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by