Mystery question....dead chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crookedcreekranch, May 16, 2011.

1. crookedcreekranch

crookedcreekranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Yesterday I let out my 18 hens and 2 roosters. Everyone came running out of the coop into their "play area" with their usual enthusiasm. I went back about 30 minutes later to give them their treats and one of my girls (light brahma) was laying dead in the pen. Everyone else was fine. She had no marks on her body and looked like she just laid down and died. I have not had any problems with them in the past (all about 1 year old). Nothing had been done any different than usual. Everyone is still fine today. Any guesses on what happened to her? Do chickens have heart attacks??

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, they can have heart attacks, strokes -- many of the things people get. This has happened to me and no doubt to many others on here. Mine wasn't that old and I never knew something was wrong, or what took her.

Chickens are very good at hiding illness; it keeps others from picking on them. Unfortunately, this means sometimes we don't know something is wrong, either. Sorry you lost her.

3. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    How old was she? [​IMG] Sorry about your loss.

4. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Sorry for your loss. Sometimes they just die like that and it remains a mystery. If the others stay healthy, I would not get too worried about the health of your flock. If anymore die or take ill, you might want to check with your state about having a necropsy done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by