Mystery rescue hen - barred rock, maybe?

stargirl

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2011
UK

Meet Eagley, my super-tame mystery bird!

I rescued her as a day old chick who was due to be killed by a local farmer due to splay leg/failure to thrive. He hatched her from an egg he bought in a big batch - she was the only one out of 30 to successfully hatch.

She’s now about 3 months old and a total doll. In her early weeks I was sure she was a Barred Plymouth Rock, but as she’s feathering up for winter I’m more and more confused!

She has these big fluffy cheeks, and a little fluffy combed-back crest going on. Her feathers are lightly barred but definitely not the clearly defined stripes of a fully barred hen. Black patches on beak, small comb, brown eyes.

And then there’s a trace of green iridescence coming through, that you can only see in the sun.
Could it be “she” is a Roo??

I’d love your guesses as to her parentage/ breed mix!

DxLxP2f.jpg

4K8ly6l.jpg

bGzp7Xc.jpg

hHVgFPB.jpg

LwYNMq8.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a cockerel, and he looks like a cream legbar mix or EE mix.

That's one handsome boy you got! ❤️

Just to get a few more thoughts:
@Rhodebar Lover @Overo Mare @cherrynberry @TheOddOneOut
Thank you! :love We’re so bonded - it’s going to be hard to move him on if he is indeed a cockerel, even though I have a lovely friend to send him to.

Is it the green feathers that make you think roo, or other things too?

When I first thought s/he was a barred rock at a day old she met every single indicator for a female chick, so I was so convinced! Until she stopped looking like the pictures around week 5, and has carried on being completely different since!

Comb size, saddle feathers, curved tail, hackles, etc.
Iridescence in the tail feathers is also something that screamed male. Although some hens have iridescent feathers as well.
Ok, that sounds pretty conclusive lol!

I can’t see any of these things myself yet, but the only cockerel I ever kept was a lot older when I got him. Thanks for the expert eye!

Back
Top Bottom