1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery Respiratory Illness... Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsDoubtfire, Jun 27, 2016.

1. MrsDoubtfire

MrsDoubtfire New Egg

Jun 27, 2016
    Whakamaru New Zealand
    Hi all, Wondering if anyone can advise. I have a 1 year old Hyline who is displaying respiratory issues: sneezing and "runny nose", wheezing and gasping, and when its really bad she makes a horrible (outbreath hissing) noise in her throat... a bit hard to describe sorry. She is not displaying any other sign of illness, she is a healthy weight, eating well, drinking, is bright, interested in her surroundings, energetic, and has a bright comb and eyes, glossy feathers, and is laying normal eggs every 2-3 days. I isolated her and the vet has seen her. She gave me some antibiotics and anti inflamm's, which did nothing, so we tried treating her for Gape Worm, with two different wormers, no improvement. I did however notice some improvement when I brought her inside where it was warmer, but it is not consistent, and she has periods of slight wheezing through to laboured breathing even inside. This has been going on for 10 weeks with no improvement! I thought maybe it was asthma, so thought I had nothing to loose by trying her on a human inhaler. I gave her a few treatments, (being careful not to overdose her), with only a minimal improvement of symptoms for a short time. She is such a lovely bird and I am reluctant to give up on her, but also don't want her to suffer. I have also tried steam and eucalyptus oil treatments & apple cider vinegar & have given her a diet rich in nutrients to boost her immunity. I just don't know what else to do. :-(

2. MrsDoubtfire

MrsDoubtfire New Egg

Jun 27, 2016
    Whakamaru New Zealand
    If anyone can advise on whats causing this, as I need to make a call as to whether to keep trying to cure her or whether to euthanize her. Thanks in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by