Mystery respiratory problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EverettGal, Oct 30, 2014.

1. EverettGal

EverettGal New Egg

Jul 16, 2014
    Everett, WA
    Hello - this is my first post! I'm pretty new to raising chickens. For the most part, it's been pretty fun, but:

I have a chicken that has respiratory issues.

Facts:
    I've had her for 4 months and she's had it as long as i've had her.
    Symptoms are: raspy breathing, sneezing, shaking head, scratching head, gaping. Sometimes worse than other days - with the weather get colder and wetter, I seem to notice more sneezing.
    Her behavior has been fine - eating, drinking, laying, running around the yard like the other chickens.
    None of the other chickens seem to have it.
    I've had her on antibiotics twice (Duramycin -10 (sp?). Once for 7 days, once for 12 days with little to no change in symptoms.
    My coop is cedar -free and brand new.

I'm not sure where to go from here. With the weather getting colder, I'm worried she's going to get worse.
    I have read many posts and threads here, but still haven't come up with a solid answer what to do - especially since the antibiotics didn't seem to work. I bought some Vet RX, but don't know what to do with it.
    I've been to my local feed stores, I've called the livestock advisory line (he told me my chicken had worms), and the vet reference listed for my area is actually my vet (who does not treat chickens). In short, I have no local resources and look forward to some online expertise!

Thanks for any help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Have you ever seen bloody mucus from her nose or mouth? Respiratory disease make carriers of the whole flock, most of them for life. She could possibly have a disease from mold (aspergillosis) that has brought on secondary infections that keep recurring. Or she could have ILT, MG, or coryza that are chronic diseases that never go away. If you could get this bird tested (by a blood test or nasal swab) by contacting the state vet, I would do so to know what I was dealing with. Or if it were me, I would contact the state vet to get a necropsy done (and put the chicken down) to find the cause of disease. If she has been having all of these symptoms for 4 months she is miserable and suffering, so I would recommend putting her down whether you test or not. Here is a link for your state vet and a good link about the respiratory diseases with symptoms:
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  3. EverettGal

EverettGal New Egg

Jul 16, 2014
    Everett, WA
    "Welcome to BYC - kill your chicken." lol

I was hoping for something a little more optimistic than that, but I guess if I've tried everything....

I've never seen discharge of any kind, and she doesn't act miserable. She acts like all the other chickens 95% of the time.

I'll look into the nasal swab idea.

Thanks,

4. familypendragon

familypendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

5. familypendragon

familypendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

In case the AAV link gives you fits or if you are on a phone here is what I pulled up for Washington

27 Records Found Sort by Name | Group
    Rachel Bangert DVM MS
    Bellingham
    Washington
    United States

Tracy Bennett DVM Dipl. ABVP
    Seattle
    Washington
    United States

John Berry DVM
    Lynden
    Washington
    United States

Cynthia R. Bishop
    Bothell
    Washington
    United States

Jana M. Braun
    Woodinville
    Washington
    United States

Sonnya L. Crawford DVM
    Montesano
    Washington
    United States

Bridget A. Ferguson
    Kent
    Washington
    United States

Michael Fuller
    Ellensburg
    Washington
    United States

Michael Garner DVM
    Monroe
    Washington
    United States

Bethany Groves
    Lynnwood
    Washington
    United States

Kendal Harr DVM DACVP
    Mukilteo
    Washington
    United States

John Huckabee
    Lynnwood
    Washington
    United States

Brent Johnson DVM
    Everett
    Washington
    United States

Elizabeth Kamaka
    Mountlake Terrace
    Washington
    United States

Darrell K. Kraft DVM Dipl. AVBP
    Snowhomish
    Washington
    United States

Jennifer Lawrence
    Puyallup
    Washington
    United States

James Little DVM
    Bremerton
    Washington
    United States

Marcie Logsdon
    Pullman
    Washington
    United States

Adolf Maas
    Bothell
    Washington
    United States

Alicia Mclaughlin
    Bothell
    Washington
    United States

James Onorati
    Seattle
    Washington
    United States

Deanna Shafar
    Lakewood
    Washington
    United States

Bruce Singbeil
    Woodinwille
    Washington
    United States

Malisha A. Small
    Longview
    Washington
    United States

Amy A. Smith DVM
    Lacey
    Washington
    United States

Liane Sperlich DVM
    Tacoma
    Washington
    United States

Michael L. Widener DVM
    Olympia
    Washington
    United States

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm always for doing what is best for the chicken. And I always recommend testing if possible because there are just so many possibilities in identifying a disease. In some states if you call the state vet's office, they will give you a ton of advice about what disease they are seeing more often. All state are concerned about avian influenza, and they may even send someone to test your birds for free, and just charge you a small fee for an MG or coryza test. Someone in New Hampshire just got her chickens tested for $1.50 a piece sine the state wanted to test hers for AI. I recommended culling and a necropsy since your chicken has been sick for 4 months. If you want to treat her instead, then get her tested, and medicate her with antibiotics. Tylan is better for MG and sulfa medications (sulfadimethoxine, Sulmet) are better for coryza in combination with Tylan. If it is mold and aspergillosis, the antibiotics won't cure her, but having a mold-free environment may stop further damage and prevent the secondary infections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by