Mystery Roo Ailment - Injured? Sick? :) Updated with pic.

featherz

Veggie Chick
13 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Saratoga County, NY
Have an 18 week old Light Brahma cockerel who hasn't been 'right' for some time. I don't honestly know if he's ill, abused by another chicken, or just not too bright.
tongue.png
He lost the sight in one eye about two months ago due to a peck injury so he's always been a little quirky, but I do believe the other roo in the pen has been picking on him. (there are 20 girls in this coop also, so plenty to go around). They are free range except at night.

Although his newly found crow is a little raspy, he has no sneezing/coughing/eye drainage or swelling. His poop looks normal and he's eating and drinking. None of the others in his coop have been ill and he's been this way for some time. His comb and wattles are bright red.

Symptoms: Standing alone, either outside or in the dark coop all alone while others are outside. Sitting more often than I'd think normal. However, if you come towards him he stands up and walks fine. I'd go out to the coop each day and all the other chickens would be outside romping in the grass and he'd be sitting alone in the dark. Never heard him crow at all until I put him in isolation. He cannot see out of one eye and he keeps that closed sometimes, but I know for a fact that was a peck injury - he had a large corneal hole there which has now healed. In the cage he sleeps like he's laying an egg, butt up.
tongue.png

I tried putting him back out with the others when he perked up and started crowing, but the other roo did a number on his comb and there he was again, standing alone - now with a bloody comb and wattle.

Didn't see any evidence of lice or mites, but used Eprinex to cover those just to be sure.

I'll cull him if I have to, but I hate to do it when he doesn't appear to be suffering. However, I can't in good conscience sell or rehome him if he's ill, even if it doesn't appear to be contagious.. And who'd want my poor wimpy half blind rooster anyways?
smile.png
I don't have room to keep him separated forever, so I have to decide what I can do with him.

I've got him on vitamins/extra protein so far. Any other suggestions?

I can get a picture later, but he looks pretty normal, visually. He just acts odd.

Last edited:
It sounds like you covered everything...no lice/mites, the eprinex wouldve taken care of worms and mites, vitamins/protein....no symptoms of CRD. I havnt any experience with a Light Brahma cockeral. However, I have 2 Light Brahma hens. I keep them seperated from the other hens in their own pen and coop. They are very docile and my other hens would literally tear them up, they would just sit there and take a beating and not run. This might be the same thing with your Light Brahma cockeral, very submissive. Maybe if you seperated him into his own pen and coop with a couple of hens to permanently stay with, or rotate hens if overmating becomes an issue...might just work. Otherwise you might have to cull him.

Thanks.. He's feeling much perkier today now that he's again separated. Maybe I will try to find a home for him OR if my other roo turns out mean, I'll keep poor old Jack.
smile.png

Here's a pic. You can see the damage to his comb and wattle, inflicted yesterday. That's his 'good side' with his working eye.
smile.png
As you can see, he looks quite perky today but I know if he goes back outside, he'll march back into the coop and sit in the dark.
sad.png

51848_p1020139.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
He's very pretty, I hope you can find him a home or keep him. I have Brahma hens as well and they are very laid back chickens for their size.

Back
Top Bottom